Request for Site Model files

I am working on a training exercise as part of our training curriculum here at NNA.

I am looking for a few sample files demonstrating a variety of VW site modifiers. If you would like to submit your VW site model, we will be sure to appropriately credit you and any one else we need to. We can also strip out any identifying information, such as title blocks, details, customer information, etc., at your request.

I would really like a file that could do a few of these, but if you have a file that even demonstrates one of this the file is still quite useful.

Roads w/ a site model

Texture beds

Landscape walls

Pads for a parking lot - sloped or split slope for water flow

House / Building w/ a site model (pad representing a foot print as a site modifier)

Thank you in advance !!

Please send me an email if you feel you have a file(s) that fit the bill as well as any questions you may have.

Hi Katie

Unable to provide a file at this time, but would like to know how to convert a closed polyline (with lines & arcs) to a pad with split drainage slope determined by Stake Objects. I can not figure out how to convert the polyline shown in the attached image "HPGC As-built.jpg" to a pad?

Thanks

Rather than creating this shape with a site modifier object, I would take a different approach.

I would go through and place Stake Objects at each of the locations where you have a reading. Set the z height of those points to the elevation given in the image of the points.

When you create the stake objects, make sure you set them to be used as Site Modifiers -- it's an option in the Stake Object Preference as well as in the Obj Info Palette once they've been created.

Draw a fence using the Site Modifier tool (set to Fence) around the stake objects setting the perimeter of the parking lot.

Then update the DTM to show the proposed site model.

If you run into problems, please email the file over and I'll take a look at it.

Thanks Katie

The reason I was hoping to use the actual 2D object (parking area pavement) is it closes to all the other adjoining features ie curbs, sidewalks & gravel shoulders. The as-built survey data is only point data, therefore, connecting the points in 2D will not duplicate the actual object. As shown in the jpg file the parking area is a very complex closed polyline & it was not possible (actully impossible) to pickup every vertex control point.

I am attempting to create a 3D as-built plan that shows all features (roads, parking areas, curbs, sidewalks, landscaping & all underground utilities as dimensionally correct 3D extruded objects. This will allow me to show that all underground utilities have the correct minimum clearances from each other.

You could still use the parking lot tool. You could use a texture bed to color the flattened out portion of the model, then put the parking lots in place and tilt them to the appropriate degree.

Katie

As shown in the my attached file "62-HPGCAs-built.jpg" the parking area is a closed polyline, the parking tool was only used to represent the paint lines. The parking area has variable slopes to the catchbasins as shown by the stake objects. What I would like to know is what you were referring to with "Pads for a parking lot ... split slope for water flow".

Thanks

Say you have a large parking lot that has a hump in the middle so the rainfall can travel down off the parking lot into catch basins on either side (very simple example).

You can create a pad and set each half side of the pad to have a slope so as water hits the parking lot, it flows one way or the other.