Fixed Area for Space Tool

Graphite Studios

Question

Perhaps this can already be done... if so, please point me in the right direction.

When space planning, I almost without exception deal with a target area specified from the building program (i.e. 150 s.f. Entryway, 500 s.f. Meeting Room, etc.). It is these numbers that correlate to function/needs as well as help establish the project budget. A feature that would be absolutely invaluable during schematic planning would be the ability to specify/define a fixed area for a polygon, then be able to manipulate its shape while still maintaining the area. For instance, say a room of 500 s.f. could be created with the space tool. Once created, the shape could be changed but the area 'rubberbands' to maintain the specified area. This logic would be consistent with architectural programming where required areas are defined, etc. With the current space tool, it is a bit of a hit and miss game to determine the space dimensions, etc. that match a required area. Any reshaping of the space using the current tool changes the area as well. A much better solution from a designer's perspective would be to enter a program area size and have a square polygon generated. This 'space polygon' could then be reshaped, etc. but would stay the target size/area as specified by the building program.

9 answers to this question

How would you anticipate this working?

It would be hard to determine which edge stays put(especially in polygonal shapes) and how an object would be stretched.

If you think about the reshape tool to move the points around, some other point would have to move, and even the center point would continuously move thus creating issues in layout -- you'd have to constantly reposition the object.

Ideally I'd be able to fix a length of one of the polygon's edges. Using that variable, and the target area/size for the space, a polygon for the space would result. Then perhaps I could select one of the edges to change (based on a structural grid, etc.) and the resulting polygon would still maintain the required area. For example, say I have a required program area of 400 s.f. The initial polygon generated may be a square that is 20'x20'. I then select an edge that I want to be a specific size, say 16' (based on my structural grid). The polygon would update to a new shape that is 16'x25' (still 400 s.f.).

I am less concerned about repositioning the space object than maintaining the target area during early design. This process is akin to the old practice of using scale paper cutouts of rooms and then arranging them to work out design solutions. The great benefit of doing this electronically is the ability to change the proportions of the spaces quickly (with no manual calculations) while still meeting the critical target area requirements

Essentially I'd like eliminate the manual calculation I need to do as a designer when doing a plan layout, even if it just applies to simple shapes like rectangles, squares, etc. When working on a project with dozens of spaces, even that would make a huge difference.

Say for example, the object is simply -- 4 or 5 sides.

You want to move one edge or one point between two edges.

How would/should VW interpret what gets moved as a result to maintain even square footage?

Essentially I'd like eliminate the manual calculation I need to do as a designer when doing a plan layout, even if it just applies to simple shapes like rectangles, squares, etc. When working on a project with dozens of spaces, even that would make a huge difference.

I can understand the challenge of complex shapes. As I mentioned, if it is possible to have a 'fixed area' for simple shapes such as squares, rectangles, and triangles, that would be really helpful. Ideally, one could lock an edge(s) or vertex(s) and still be able to manipulate the fixed area shape somewhat. This at least gives the designer a quick way to organize spaces through manipulation of their proportions while 'invisibly' maintaining the target area/size.

Thanks!

Thanks Gideon, this is basically what I am looking for! I'll have to play with this a bit more but it would be great if the space tool were a little more robust so it could work in a similar fashion. The ability to 'lock' a space to a specified area/size is invaluable in schematic design. This would allow the designer to quickly arrange spaces while still maintaining the target area/size of the building program.

Thanks again!

Code might be as simple as VW calculating a primary radial vector for 'direction' of the User defined Space area.

Then, as the User manipulates the edges or vertices of the poly, VW recalculates the area using the directional change of the vector

...but only displays a poly that is within the 'area' limits parameters declared by the User prior to the change of the poly.