Creating a Curved Curtain (Cyc)

Alok

Hi everyone,

I'm new to VW 12.5 and I'm trying to create a curved cyc. I'm able to create what looks like a cyc using the curtain tool, but I'm unable to edit the object.

Does anyone know of a way to curve a curtain, or have a better way to go about doing this?

Thanks,

-Alok

Alok -

Give www.landrudesign.com/LandruCurvedCurtain.zip a try.

To use, copy both files in the Zip file into your Plug-Ins folder. Add "Curtain From..." to your Workspace. Create an arc and, with the arc selected, run "Curtain From..." The script will create an object called "LandruCurtain 1.0," which will have a few OIP-adjustable parameters.

Though the tool might be a bit rough, I've found it to work quite well for doing things like you describe. It also works with straight lines.

Regards -

Hi again,

Thanks for the files! However, I couldn't get the script to work properly.

I follwed your instructions very closesly, and tried using the "Curtain From..." tool on an arc, line, polyline - pretty much everything - but nothing happened when I clicked it.

I tried it in VW11 as well, and had a similiar result.

Is there something I missed?

Thanks a lot for your reply! This sounds like it would work great if I can get it to work.

Thanks again,

-Alok

Hmmm...

Not sure what to tell you. Those are the daily working files from my computers and all is working @ my end.

A few thoughts:

- Have you tried restarting VW since installing the files? If not, do that and see if things work.

- Are BOTH files in your Plug-Ins folder? Though you shouldn't add "LandruCurtain" to the Workspace, "Curtain From..." uses that file. (I know you said you followed my directions closely. I'm just double-checking...)

- At what scale is your active layer?

- After you've clicked the menu item, is the original geometry still selected? If so, what is the type/name shown @ the top of the OI box?

One note: The script will only work on lines and arcs. I'd love to add polyline functionality, but that is beyond me for the time-being.

If you DO get things to work, a few things to check out:

- Images applied to the curtain will match its width (for creating drops). The image scaling and positioning can also be adjusted.

- Curtain geometry can be adjusted - including pleat depth. pleat segment length, and curtain height. You can also "flip" the pleat direction.

- A "Simple" version toggle for both 3D and 2D.

- A "Border" toggle for creating truss borders. Includes mitering options so that borders that wrap trusses and other objects will "connect" in 2D and draw correctly in 3D.