Exporting to 3D Studio Max

Hello,

Is there a plugin available for exporting 3D models from VectorWorks to 3d Studio Max in the same way as there is for Cinema 4D?

If not, what work arounds are people using?

I'm starting a new job and will be in an entirely PC/3DMax office.

Any insights or advice much appreciated,

Cathal Jordan

Hiya Cathal.. theres no 3dsMAX export for VW (meaning *.mcd --> *.max) The only way I know of is to get Cinema4d with the VW plugin (approx $889 with Plugin) and then you can export from VW --> Cinema4D then from C4D --> 3dsMAX .. (c4d has a legacy plugin for exchange between *.max and *.c4d including all lights and cameras and textures grin.gifgrin.gif )

Downfall... $$$ purchasing the Cinema4d package.. but if you know of a friend who has Cinema4d you could just purchase the VW plugin then go export from their PC..

Hope this helps.. just my two cents... laugh.giflaugh.gif

Note that the current VW Exchange Plugin DOES NOT work with VW 12.5. C4D users are waiting for a patch from Maxon. The 3ds export that Dave refers to is part of VW and will import into 3D Studio Max. The advantage of the Exchange Plugin (when it works) is that you can update a previous export to C4D, without having to start from scratch.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Katie,

What I'm concerned about is having to reattach all my UVW and Material work in 3dsmax each time I export the model from VectorWorks.

That said it is some time since I've worked with 3dsmax, and there have been a few upgrades, so perhaps I will be able to do something clever with Xrefs.

Cathal

Edited by Cathal

If you are refering to material as textures you've placed on objects inside of VW, export to dxf/dwg will drop those textures.

Exporting to 3DS will retain some of the textures. This is something currently on the wish list to expand.

If that's not what you are refering to, please explain UVW and Material.

Thanks Katie,

What I mean is that one I have taken my model into 3dsmax I will be adding materials to each of the elements glass, brick etc. If I then reimport the model I will have to reapply the materials.

This is in contrast to the exchange plugin for Cinema4D where you can update the model while preserving the material allocations.

I'll be starting this new position on Monday and have no access to 3dsmax till then. It could well be that there is a work around for this. or that it really isn't big enough a problem to be worth worrying about.

I'll get back to you all then,

Cathal