Not losing instrument data v8->v9

A designer I'm assisting created a plot with VW8.5. I only have VW9 on my laptop. When I opened the file he sent me, all the instruments were converted to 2-D symbols, not lighting symbols. All the instrument data was attached to rectangles, which were neatly arranged in a corner, which said

quote:

Orphans

How do I open a VW8 file using VW9 without detaching the instrument data from the lighting symbols?

quote:

Originally posted by A-Greene:
A designer I'm assisting created a plot with VW8.5. I only have VW9 on my laptop. When I opened the file he sent me, all the instruments were converted to 2-D symbols, not lighting symbols. All the instrument data was attached to rectangles, which were neatly arranged in a corner, which said .

How do I open a VW8 file using VW9 without detaching the instrument data from the lighting symbols?

Are you sure the designer is using SpotLight? Anyone who bought SpotLight 8.52 got a free upgrade to SpotLight 9. If they're using 8.52 they may not be using SpotLight but may be using the theatre lighting toolkit.

You can try running the Convert from 8.5x menu command found under SpotLight's utilities menu to convert the lighting toolkit plot to a SpotLight plot. This is a one way process though so they'll have to have SpotLight to work with the instruments.