Grades on different design layers - snap but not connect?

aage.langedrag

Question

Big wish that Grades on different design layers can snap but not connect to Grades on other Design Layers. I work with several alternative solutions on different Design Layers. Very frustrating that Grades on Design Layer-01 connects to Grades on Design Layer-02 and divide that Grades . Suddenly, I have divided the Grades on another design layer. The elevations have also been altered and "destroyed". I wish I could have a setting that says that Grades should only connect with other Grades on the same Design Layer or that I could choose from a list which Design Layers can be connected.

Edited by aage.langedrag
  • Like 3

6 answers to this question

46 minutes ago, aage.langedrag said:

Big wish that Grades on different design layers do not snap to each other. I work with several alternative solutions on different design layers. Very frustrating that Grades on a design layer snap to Grades on a design layer that is hidden. Suddenly, I have divided the Grades on another design layer. The elevations have also been altered and destroyed.

This certainly sounds like a bug, Åge — you should never be able to snap to objects in classes or on layers which are invisible. I’ll run some tests to confirm what you’re experiencing, then we can argue about who’s going to buglist the problem. 😉

Hi,

please note that this issue even exists with grade objects on invisible design layers or classes. To reproduce this you can follow these steps (can't record a video):

1. Draw some simple connected lines on design layer 1. They will work as guides and could resemble for example the boundary of a hardscape in real life.

2. Trace the lines with a the grade tool on design layer 2 and set the layer to invisible.

3. With the grade tool, create a new grade on design layer 1 by snapping anywhere on a line drawn in step 1.

In the dialogue box the spot elevations will look correct at first but as soon as you try to move the point of the grade object that was snapped to the guide line in step 3, you will see that this point was connected to the  invisbile grade created in step 2, also dividing that grade into two grades. This also happens when you take an existing grade and snap it on of the lines.

In conclusion, it seems like two grade networks can't exist separately in the same file if the share points in the same position.

For me, this happens in Vectorworks 2024 SP3.1 (German version) on Windows 10.

Best regards,

Daniel