2 capabilities that would sell version 11

P Retondo

Question

Based on what I've been reading here, and my own experience, I would guess that the two most popular addtions to VW would be these:

1) OLE capability, allowing us to embed linked Excel and Work files into VW. This would take care of all the complaints about text editing. If we could export Worksheet data to an Excel file, perhaps that would take care of all the Worksheet formatting problems people experience.

2) Automated generation of 2D sections from a 3D model. This would update the outline of all solid objects in a saved section view whenever the model is changed. All you need to do is come up with some algorithms that can find the surface, or outline, of all solid objects cut by the section plane. I think this is the easiest of the many requests for 2D-3D interactivity you have received. If it works seamlessly, and we can assign classes with line weights to the elements of the original section that would be preseved on update, it would be a very exciting and time-saving capability.

3 answers to this question

You can export a Worksheet to an Excel File.

Open the worksheet.

Go to File>Export>Export Worksheet.

Make sure you export it as a tab delimited format.

That can then be opened by Word, Excel and plenty of other text and database applications.

You cannot edit the inforamtion in the worksheet and bring it back into VW though.

Well, you can, but that defeats the purpose.

You can't do it with database entries such as those linked to records.

I believe an engineer commented on OLE and the misunderstanding of what exactle OLE can and cannot do.

I'll see if I can go back and find the post.

Isn't there also some way to embed word processor files in VectorWorks? I've never tried it, but I remember several years ago seeing someone else do it. He needed to fill a sheet with specifications, and rather than try to format the text in MiniCad, and try to figure out how tall the column of text really would print, he typed it all in a word processing file (I think it was Wordperfect, actually) and then placed it on the drawing sheet with tabs and everything and with a clearly indicated size that didn't change as you zoomed in and out. I wish now that I had asked how he did it.

Katie, what I guess I was trying to say was that I hoped OLE would work both ways, so that a VW worksheet could be linked to Word or Excel.

What I understand by OLE is that an object could be inserted into a VW document so that, when it is changed, it can be automatically re-inserted in updated fashion.