Referencing Drawing Workflow for IFC package for a Multi-Townhome site

John _Baz

Hello Fellow Vectorworks Users, 

I am currently working on an Issued For Construction document package for a Multi-townhome development all to be built on one single site. 
What I am looking for is advice on an efficient method for creating my drawings with a clean and nimble referencing workflow. 

For context, there are about three different clusters of townhomes. Each cluster, or building, is comprised of two to four differently designed home configurations. The site has moderate to steep slopes. 

Some initial project planning thoughts on a possible workflow to generate IFC drawings:
- First, create files (ex. Bld 1) for each cluster, or building, with each Home (ex. A, B, C, D) being drawn on the same 0-Story. This is where I will get all of my Floor Plans and any Top-Down type of drawings from for my IFC package. 
- Next, I will create a Site Model file. This will have a 2D Design Layer for the site survey CAD and a 3D Design Layer for the 3D topography site model. 
- Then, I'm thinking I will reference in each building cluster file (ex. Bld 1) into this Site Model File. I will place each Referenced building file (ex. Bld 1) onto the site correctly.
A question is how will I be able to vertically place each Home (ex. A, B, C, D), which makes up a cluster building (ex. Bld 1), separately onto the site in elevation? Should I create each home (ex. A, B, C, D) on its own design layer that I can then turn on and off later in the site model file? This might allow me to then place the Home (ex. A, B, C, D) properly in elevation onto the site.  If this reference workflow manages to work, I am looking to get all my site elevations, site sections, building elevations, and building sections for all my cluster buildings (ex. Bld 1) drawn from this site model file to be later incorporated into my IFC package. 

Does this make sense? I looking to minimize the amount of referenced files, while also capping the amount of duplicated work I might need to do when one element or component needs to be changed in each building cluster and home.

Note: I am a beginner to intermediate Vectorworks user, so please keep your responses basic with as few acronyms as possible, that would be highly appreciated.
I really appreciate any help you can provide,

John.
- Vectorworks 2024 on PC using Windows 10.  
- Beginner/Intermediate Vectorworks user, first time forum poster (hello!)