3D Plants for Landscape Areas - controlling visibility

AMPG

I have 3D image prop plants in my landscape areas, which are causing the file to slow down when they are visible.  So I have turned off "Show 3D Plants" in the landscape area.  But this means the 3D plants are no longer visible in my viewports.  Does anyone know if there is a setting which would allow the 3D plants to be invisible in the design layers, but visible within a specific viewport?  (Like you can with layers and classes).  

Otherwise the only solution I can think of is to edit the 3D component of each plant and class the image props so that I can control visibility that way, but I am trying to avoid this as there are a lot of plant styles to edit... 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Unless someone else has additional insight, unfortunately I think the way you'd be coached to manage this is how you describe it: via classes within the 3D component. I have likewise had issues where I hide 2D appearance for landscape areas, but all the individual plant symbols export as blocks to DWG when I send basefiles to consultants. I'm still trying to work on effectively managing that but don't want to detract from your topic. 🙂 Overall I'd say managing plant appearances is pretty overwhelming between landscape areas, 2D components, class overrides, 3D components, Laubwerk geometry, etc... The level of control is great but it's a lot to handle and maintain standards for.