Data Visualization of Device Symbols

Hey all,

In my drawings I like to color code my devices by discipline (lighting, audio, video, etc). Currently I'm using various device symbols that I've made for each discipline.

image.png.bf73d25622bd9c9dc07e1a9f56bebb5f.png

This works good enough but Its a bit of a manual process to select the right symbol for each device. Here is what one of my typical devices looks like using the custom device symbols.

image.png.d87ee5127dc538bbe59cb9cd13cb7dae.png

In addition to this, I have a record attached to each device where I define the discipline of the device for use in worksheets.

image.png.0afc9f264d6c1ecfc427e1a0de4d6a9c.png

Since I'm already defining the discipline in my "Device Additional Info" record, I would like to use Data Visualizations to help color code my devices based those values.

My goal is that the data visualization only changes the color of the rectangle that is behind the device tag text. I do not want the data visualization to change the fill of the entire device object.

Here is what I've attempted so far... I have created a new Device symbol named "Standard Device Label". In this symbol the rectangle behind the Device Tag text is set to a fill of black and a class of "Device Discipline Color"

image.thumb.png.a50f9383f1df97c3ef81064f6f271e3f.png

In my new Data Visualization, I set the criteria to "Class is "Device Discipline Color"

image.png.daa43cb3347269017e31196c5f3ce58a.png

image.thumb.png.dc61df2d0a771cd3dbac928cfec8a762.png

With the criteria set, it says it finds objects that meet the criteria but I can't seem to get the colors to actually change when I define the discipline field in my record. 

I understand that my record is attached to the device and not the rectangle inside the device symbol, so I assume that's why this doesn't work.

Does anyone have ideas for a better approach?

Edited by Daniel Dickman