Import Survey File to Stake Objects

kwik

Question

When I use the Landmark > Survey input > Import Survey File ... and want to create Stake objects for every point in the survey file, the preferences in the Stake Object must be set before importing. If the Stake object is set to Mode: Set elev to site model, and if there is a site model in the file, the elevation / z-value from the imported Stake Objects will be overridden and set to the elevation of the Site Model. In order to prevent this the preferences for the Stake must be set to Mode: Use as 2D/3D graphic only, or one of the other modes. If you forget to set the Mode-pref before importing (...) the elevations can be completely wrong (it took me a while to notice that the elevations were wrong...). There should be a warning or an option in the Import Survey File dialogue to prevent this. 

In the Modify > Convert > Stake Object from 3D Locus the prefs for the Stake Object pops up. Could you do the same for the Survey Import File ?

• Like 1

1 answer to this question

In my tests, when importing a Survey File, Vectorworks will present you with the Stake Object Preferences dialog if it's the first time you create a Stake object in the file. After that, it will -- as you say, @kwik -- use the last chosen mode. Perhaps a checkbox in the Import Survey File dialog with an option to "Edit Stake Object Preferences" would give you the chance to access the prefs each time, or as needs be.

• Like 1