Urgent Help Needed

pcarter

Hi Everyone,

I'm still learning vextorworks and Our class here has come up with some problems.

The main one is - Can you open a vectorworks file that has been created on the PC Version on a mac machine? and Vice versa....

I have tried emailing some files to myself from this mac so I could open them in the PC Version but it didn't work.

Also i just tryed to open a file I sent from the pc version on this mac and I can't.

Is there a problem that I am missing - does it have to be saved as a different format?

Any help would be great,

Philip Carter

Lighting Design Student

Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts

Perth, Australia

quote:

Originally posted by pcarter:

Hi Everyone,

The main one is - Can you open a vectorworks file that has been created on the PC Version on a mac machine? and Vice versa....

There is no translation necessary and no special format you need to save it in. When going from mac to windows you'll want to append the .mcd extension to your files. This will make sure that they aren't destroyed in transit by the e-mail system. Without the extension many mail packages treat the file as if it were text and that corrupts it.

The safest means of e-mail transport is to just stuff or zip the file before sending. This will both reduce the size of the file (sometimes considerably) and ensure that it gets to the other side intact.

------------------

--

Kevin Moore

---------------------

Product Manager

VectorWorks SpotLight

---------------------

Thanks - I worked out how to get the file open on the mac but I'm still having problems with opening a file that has been on a mac and sent to the pc. -I'll try it tomorrow and see how I go,

Philip Carter

quote:

Originally posted by kmoore1:

There is no translation necessary and no special format you need to save it in. When going from mac to windows you'll want to append the .mcd extension to your files. This will make sure that they aren't destroyed in transit by the e-mail system. Without the extension many mail packages treat the file as if it were text and that corrupts it.

The safest means of e-mail transport is to just stuff or zip the file before sending. This will both reduce the size of the file (sometimes considerably) and ensure that it gets to the other side intact.

[This message has been edited by pcarter (edited 10-01-2001).]