Speed

davmiller2

I'm wondering what I might be able to do about the speed issue. Currently I have a 900mhz/356 RAM/40 gig computer and have developed a plot with about 275 instruments. The time to scroll across the plot is unbelievable. I've put things into classes as suggested but the speed issue is still a factor. Is there a planned fix for the problem...in the near future? Any suggestions in the mean time?

quote:

Originally posted by davmiller2:

... Is there a planned fix for the problem...in the near future? Any suggestions in the mean time?

We are currently working on the speed issues of SpotLight. I don't have a timeframe yet for when an update will be ready.

For now I would reccommend using fewer labels in your label legend as you work and as you mentioned, turning off appropriate classes.

I think that you might see a significant speed increase if you have no legend assigned to an instrument. The lighting instrument spends a significant percentage of its time dealing with labels and drawing them. I looked at the code and the instrument skips all label drawing when it can't find the named legend symbol. The assigned legend name is stored with each instrument in the "Use Legend" field. Select all of your lighting instruments and clear out this field. Go get that cup of coffee you know you wanted and when you come back all of your instruments will have no legends and consequently no labels to draw.

Not a great solution, I know, but it should help your redraws.

Just use the assign legend to instruments command to restore legends back to your instruments when its time to print.

--

Kevin Moore

---------------------

Product Manager

VectorWorks SpotLight

---------------------

[This message has been edited by kmoore1 (edited 09-28-2001).]

• 2 weeks later...

Not a really good solution, as that means you don't have any way of keeping track of what your insturments are being used for. With a plot of 300 units and no labels you are going to have a hard time. What I have started doing is not refreshing as often and drinking a lot of coffee when saving and refreshing.

• 2 weeks later...

I went ahead and tried the suggestion and it is the only thing that has made any difference to the speed that I have tried - until I went to re-assign the labels back. With 6 different label legends on the plot the time it took to re-assign the labels was about a much time as I saved working without them!!

quote:

Originally posted by jtallen:

I went ahead and tried the suggestion and it is the only thing that has made any difference to the speed that I have tried - until I went to re-assign the labels back. With 6 different label legends on the plot the time it took to re-assign the labels was about a much time as I saved working without them!!

It might be faster then to change things on the other end. Either drop the legends folder out of the document temporarily in which case the instrument won't be able to find its legend and won't do anything about it. Or rename each legend, (i.e "My Legend" to "NOT My legend") This should only temporarily confuse the instrument. Rename the legens, refresh instruments, work on stuff, rename legends, Refresh instruments.

The create editable worksheet command may also help with this by allowing you to edit the data for a bunch of instruments all at once instead of waiting for each instrument to regen you can update them all at once. I think its a little faster this way.

------------------

--

Kevin Moore

---------------------

Product Manager

VectorWorks SpotLight

---------------------

Changing the label names is a much faster way of working around the problem. I use LW to edit instrument info. It seems to me that the problem is that when you change an instrument the regeneration happens on a bunch of instruments instead of just the one you worked on. I move an instrument and watch a bunch of others regenerate for no apparent reason - IE same type of instrument, same pipe, color, channel, ETC. Isn't there a way to isolate the regeneration to the single instrument or instruments you are working on and leave the others alone??

quote:

Changing the label names is a much faster way of working around the problem. I use LW to edit instrument info. It seems to me that the problem is that when you change an instrument the regeneration happens on a bunch of instruments instead of just the one you worked on. I move an instrument and watch a bunch of others regenerate for no apparent reason - IE same type of instrument, same pipe, color, channel, ETC. Isn't there a way to isolate the regeneration to the single instrument or instruments you are working on and leave the others alone??

I think you may be mixing up re-drawing and regenerating for an instrument. An instrument is re-generated if it is moved, if it is rotated, if you change the class it is in, if it is copied, or if one of its parameters on the object info palette is changed. Many things like panning, zooming, etc cause the instrument to re-draw, which should be a relatively quick "repainting" of the object geometry onscreen.

When you edit the data for an instrument it regenerates only that one instrument. (Except of course if the instrument is two-fered with another, or part of a multicircuit instrument.) It may be that some of the adjacent instruments are re-drawn because changes in the one object's geometry required an update to a portion of the screen that included adjacent instruments.

Let me know if you are seeing a different behaviour.

------------------

--

Kevin Moore

---------------------

Product Manager

VectorWorks SpotLight

---------------------

Whatever I do on the plot to an instrument it seems to cause a bunch of instruments to disapear and reapear on the screen. I changed the channel number on an instrument, then next I just moved it - same results- a bunch of instruments appeared to redraw or regenerate on the screen. I tried several different plots and it is consistant.

quote:

Whatever I do on the plot to an instrument it seems to cause a bunch of instruments to disapear and reapear on the screen. I changed the channel number on an instrument, then next I just moved it - same results- a bunch of instruments appeared to redraw or regenerate on the screen. I tried several different plots and it is consistant.

Check out Beta 5 of SpotLight 9.5. This is much improved. Exporting instrument data with instruments in view is also fixed.

------------------

--

Kevin Moore

---------------------

Product Manager

VectorWorks SpotLight

---------------------