DORMERS

michael john williams

Question

Version: Vector Works 11.01 for windows

Please can you explain how I can edit the size of a window in a dormer.

The edit roof element command does not seem to allow this.

Also when the dormer becomes part of the roof there is no way to edit the dormers properties.

Regards

Michael J Williams

mjwarchitects

T: 01749 840180

F: 01749 841380

E: michael@mjwarchitects.com

www.mjwarchitects.com

5 answers to this question

Well I may as well reply to myself as no one else is!

Even the technical support are quiet on this one!

So I have made the doemer window a symbol and brought it in to former a dormer. You have to offset the dormer by at least 50mm or else it gets embedded in the roof and you can not edit the dormer. The trouble is that the windows are the wrong way round and there is no facility to edit them.

What a load of complicated ?$*&^%

There must be a simpler way - perhaps it is with AutoCAD?

The online help or written manual will explain this. It is not all that difficult. You must create the window first and then insert it. Yes, you cannot adjust the window size from the roof dialog. You must adjust the symbol itself.

You can edit the dormer from the roof dialog. When you click on the inserted dormer, you should get a very complete dormer dialog box. You can adjust roof type, overhang, location of dormer, etc.

The online help and manuel is pretty poor at explaining things!

I have created the window first as a symbol. However, when it is viewed in elevation it is the wrong oritation and seen set perpendicular to the dormer, whereas in the symbol edit it is shown in the correct oritation!

And I am afraid you cannot edit the dormer from the roof dialog if you set the dormer offset from wall to 0, because the dormer becomes embedded in the roof and only roof edit is allowed

I attempted to work with you regarding this problem in the ballpark of 6 or so emails. I have yet to hear from you regarding which symbol resource in your file you are using to insert the dormer with.

When placing a dormer, you can use ANY symbol - and it doesn't have to be a window symbol. You can draw an extruded triangle and, as long as it's a symbol, you can insert it in a roof as a dormer.

When I opened your file, I noticed SEVERAL symbols that could be used as a dormer. Before I go forward with troubleshooting the problem, I need to know which one of the symbols in your file you are using to insert in the roof to create the dormer.