Reshaping 3D Objects

buz

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by buz:
Is there a way ......... I have a batch of extruded rectangles showing a joist layout (duplicate array) on 16" centers. They are square to each other at one end but at the other cross a 45? guide line where i want to cut them. I know I can cut them individually with another extruded shape and subtract solids, but is there a way to cut the 'batch' all at once?

Or is there a better way?

tfyh

Buz

If you're using VW 9.5.1 or 9.5.2 with the 3-D PowerPack installed, you can use the Section Solids command to cut them all at once, or go into top view and use the split tool in Split By Line mode to cut them. Alternatively, you can add the joists together with Add Solids, and then Subtract Solid with your slicing object. The Split tool method has the disadvantage that it's harder to change the cutting line if you change your mind about where to cut, but it's easier to set up.

Is there a way ......... I have a batch of extruded rectangles showing a joist layout (duplicate array) on 16" centers. They are square to each other at one end but at the other cross a 45? guide line where i want to cut them. I know I can cut them individually with another extruded shape and subtract solids, but is there a way to cut the 'batch' all at once?

Or is there a better way?

tfyh

Buz

I am using VW 9.5 and have yet to work with the 3d Power Pack. I suppose it's time to take a look at it.

Once I tried taking a look at it and got some message that it wasn't installed properly - so will have to look at that as well.

tfyh

I see the 3d Power Pack is working fine - it's not a matter of launching an application, it's a workspace within VW.

Working with the various suggestions I find one of my basic difficulties in working with VW. Not knowing what the ramifications will be down the road of using one method or another. For instance, could there be a problem with having half my joists 'grouped' as a solid addition. It seems as though when I make the joists a solid addition, it's kind of like 'groupng' them, the difference being they cannot be 'ungrouped'.

Actually, almost all solid operations, Add, Subtract, Extrude, Sweep, Extrude along path, Multiple Extrude, Section Solid, and other 3D power pack commands can be "un-grouped".

Just select the object and use the edit group command. It will then show you just the objects that went into creating that solid. This can even be done recursively to get an object you used many operations back.

All you need to do is copy the object you want to recover, and exit out of the group(s).

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support