V12 selection problems

This is an odd one that I have noticed several times. Frequently (and I mean at least once a day) I am unable to select symbols or groups on sheet layers. A typical example is importing a drawing border symbol (that I have drawn) into a new file. 9 times out of ten within 10 mins, I cannot edit the symbol in the new file, and worse still this seems to interfere with the rest of the design layers causing entities on that to become unselectable. I've got both layers and classes set to show/snap/modify so it isn't that.

The only solution is to shut VW down then restart it. I never had this issue in 11.5, this is just a 12 thing.

Anybody else had this?

It seems to be worse on files that use symbols that were created in v11. So typically, I'll start a new file in 12, open an older 11.5 file, and use that to import the symbols from.

This happens on Windows XP Pro, with a Dell M60 with 1GB RAM and all the latest service packs and drivers.