scottlong

newbie fixture symbol question

the last time I used Vectorworks was version 2008 and so I am vastly out of the loop here. I started a new job and was handed a MAC with 2015 on it and was told here you figure it out. So my question is where the heck are all the symbols located? how do I get to them? the last time I used the software it was setup so that I had a little resource browser in the bottom of my screen that was super easy. any help would be

This should cover the very basics:

Most symbols should be available by default in 2015 after installing, however for that version you might need to go to Help > Download Content to get everything, that changed between 2014 and 2016 but I forget exactly which version.

ok thank you that made it very easy! is there a quick way to scale the symbols?

they are  importing to the document vastly oversized.

You can set a symbols' scaling factor in the object info palette on the right side, but you should also check that your layer scale is set as you want it, this may clear that concept up:

1 hour ago, scottlong said:

what symbols are you using?  our symbols are drawn to the manufacturer specifications, and should not need to be scaled to use.

On 6/12/2018 at 7:59 AM, scottlong said:

Scott, I know it's not a fresh topic, but this happens when the file units are off. If the file is metric, for example,  and you have feet/inches, then a 25cm par becomes a 25 FOOT par. You can scale the results, bit imho it's more accurate to get the units lined up at the get go