irritations

This will probably sound like a rant but they're all genuine questions from today using VW (I usually use 'other' cad but have used VW off and on for more than ten years). I have checked FAQ's and browsed thru the forums.

1 Why did 3 (three) classes named "" (ie blank) keep appearing and finally disappear after deleting them at least twenty times? I think renaming them and then deleting them eventually got rid of them (this took me over an hour to sort out).

2 Why does inserting a 'non-class' north arrow graphic create two new classes (north and north something I think) ?

3 Why does a window, when assigned to a different class, only take on about half the class assigned graphic attributes (eg class assignement red pen, glass stays black) ?

4Why can I not select more than one window (or door) in order to edit their parameters?

5 Why are my hatches not available in the composite wall parameters? Only a list of 'standard' hatches.

6 Does the 'cavity returns' parameter for windows and doors actually work for anyone?

7 If it does, why is it not editable once the window/door has been placed?

8 If I want to move a window and snap it to something how do I keep it where I want it? Dragging (the jamb) and snapping to a 'T' wall junction almost always throws it into the other wall. Snapping to any other object will disassociate the window from the wall.

9 Why are plug-in objects encrypted? At least let me edit their grahic attributes. I have spent at least an hour today trying to edit one window so that it looks right to me (and failed).

10 Why are some operations (move, copy , select, polygon edit, etc) always click-drag whereas others might be click-click (resize, clip, zoom, etc). However you set the preferences. This, seriously, adds a significant overhead to my working in VW.

I try to enjoy working with VW but my patience runs far far too thin far too often.

1. - It sounds like you have a corrupt drawing.

Try to copy the objects layer by layer to another drawing and see if the blank classes disappear.

It reminds me of a problem that happened with VW 9.5.2 and earlier when the files were opened in OS 10.1.5 and later.

2. Are you grabbing the north arrow from the Objects Palette or from the Drawing Graphics Library file or from another library file?

3. Windows and other plugin objects belong to the window class and the none class. Internal components of the objects belong to the none class, so those items will not take on the attributes of the new class.

4. All plugin objects work this way. It's a good candidate for a wish list item.

I suggest you gather a list of your wishes for VW and email them to bugsubmit@nemetschek.net

5. There is a way to change the hatches in the wall type dialog box, but not without vector scripting. If this is something you are interrested in, I can email you some suggestions. Contact me at katie@nemetschek.net.

6./7. Please email bugsubmit@nemetschek.net in regards to this issue OR post this in the Architect section where one of the IP engineers administers and can better answer it for you.

8.When you go to insert the window, you might want to change the insertion mode from center to align left or right (in the mode bar)

You can also post this in the arch. section of the message board for a better answer.

9. I suggest you place a door or window in the drawing. Then edit the attributes of that door or window and make it into a symbol. Reuse the symbol for your door or windows.

10. (move, copy , select, polygon edit) For the exception of Move, these can all be done with a click or double click. I am pretty sure these all operate based on standards in other CAD and image applications.