DISAPPEARING IMPORTED OBJECTS

I have been on a long time mission to figure out how to import certain Autocad objects without them disappearing. I have tried everything I can think of including exploding them several times before importing them. Problem is if you explode them too far they disappear in the autocad file before I can import. I have noticed it happens particularly with rounded 3D objects such as a pipe. Does anyone have any advice on how get them into VW?

If the Layer in AutoCad containing those objects is set to invisible, those objects won't import into VW.

If you import the AC drawing into VW, you might want to go through and make sure all classes are set to visible. (same for layers)

You may also want to "Fit to Objects" after importing the drawing to make sure the objects are floating out in la la land.

If none of that works for you, send the DWG file to tech support and have them look into the problem.

tech@nemetschek.net

Thanks for your reply

The DWG file only has 2 layers and both are turned on and thawed. The VW layers and classes likewise are all visable. The only thing that appears to import is loci or node or somekind of reference dot. I will take your advice and forward one of these DWG files to VW tech support to see if they have better luck than I.

Thank you again

When you imported it, there is a 2d/3d conversion section at the bottom.

Make sure you select 2d and 3d (not just 2d).

If that doesn't work, try to select 3d only.

See if more objects show up.

If they don't, go back to the dxf file and see if everything is in viewports or xref'd into the document.

Xref'd objects do NOT import into VW and Viewports do NOT import into VW.

There might be an easier explanation. If your objects in ACAD are 3D solids, then VectorWorks will not import them. Try exporting your 3D solids to 3DS, import them again in the ACAD file, and import that DWG in VW. You will get faceted geometry, but at least you will have your geometry in VW.

This triangulation also happens when you export VW NURBS to ACAD. ACAD doesnt support VW-NURBS, just as VW doesn't suppor ACAD-solids.

Cheers,

BaRa