Open DWG Alliance foiled again?

I have been using the free but crude AutoDesk VoloView Express to check my DWG exports and imports from VW9.5.1 on Windows98se. A few days ago, I upgraded to the $49+ VoloView 3 to take advantage of its more complete display functions (TT fonts, bitmaps). Unfortunately, it opens a VW export (even VW10) as a blank background (no model space data). Files created in AutoCAD open properly. The AutoDesk tech says VV3 is completely different from VV Express, and it must have a "Model tab" in order to open the file. The VW Tech has not responded, so I'm hoping someone on the list has some idea what the problem is.

I'd rather not go back to VV Express. Is there anything I can do to accomodate the latest AutoCAD viewer? In what way is a VW exported DWG file different from an AutoCAD DWG? Does the Open DWG Alliance offer patches for such incompatibilities? Has AutoDesk found a way to thwart the Alliance?

I tried to replicate what you described, but couldn't.

I exported from VectorWorks 8 and 10, to DWG v14 and 2000/02, trying various settings in the export window. The result always opened in AutoCad 2000 showing my full VectorWorks drawing in the Model Tab. And there was always one Layout Tab, which contained a single viewport showing all of model space.

The only thing that came close to what you described is that objects on the full-size layer that I use for my title block were too small to see, since they were only a few inches wide, as opposed to other objects that were maybe ten or a hundred feet wide. But they were there. Is there a "Zoom All" command in VoloView 3?

The AutoDesk tech's answer sounds bizarre. The idea of an AutoCad file without model space is meaningless. It's like talking about a VectorWorks file that doesn't have any layers.

Jan15,

My VW.DWG export files have always opened properly in AutoCAD and VoloView Express. Apparently, there is something different about VoloView 3. It fails to find the Model Space tab for some reason. But it opens files created in AutoCAD with no problem. So there seems to be something about the OpenDWG export that doesn't communicate with the new and improved VV3 code. I guess I'll try to find a copy of version 2. Thanks for the input.

John