Applying classes to groups

The first time I applied a class to a group I received a dialogue box asking me if I wanted to apply the class and its attributes to all of the objects in that group. When this happened I thought, "yes, of course; why else would I do that?" and clicked "Yes always."

Now I'm in a situation where I don't want that to happen — I want to make a group a certain class and keep all of its constituents the way they are, because they are beautiful and perfect. The problem is that I'm having trouble finding the option that allows me to do that.

Can anyone help me apply a class to a group without homogenizing and changing the objects within said group?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Session > Reset saved settings, uncheck the top option and just leave the second option set for "Always Do"

This will reset all instances in Vectorworks where that occurred and will ask again when you next perform an operation like that.