Associative Dimensioning of Symbols

Hi there,

I'm new to the forums, but have been using VW for 2D drafting for a few years now. This forum has been a great resource or whenever I have a question, so thanks all!

I'm trying to understand dimension associations. I'm creating a lot of shop drawings of similarly designed wall panels. I want to create symbols of the panel components in order to copy the identical geometry across different sized panels. This seems like a good application for symbols. However, when I try to add dimensions in annotation view, they don't associate with any part of symbols. I've tried associating it with the insertion point, objects within the symbol, and between symbol and "raw" geometry. Associated dimensions are turned on in preferences, and work properly when snapping to non-symbols, so I can only conclude that once something an object is grouped as a symbol you can't associate dimensions with it. Is that correct or am I missing something?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Generally yes, any time you have objects inside a container (Groups, Symbols, Additions etc) they are no longer able to interact intelligently with objects outside the container. There are a few exceptions to this but thats the normal rule.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Solid Additions and Solid Subtractions are "Container" objects as well, where things like dimension associations can break down if snapped to components within them.

Usually one layer of grouping works, I have seen it not function in one level of grouping but that seems to depend on the type of object being snapped to, and often when you have multiple layers (groups inside groups inside groups inside a symbol, etc) of containers, things can stop associating.

To follow up: Is there anywhere with documentation on the rules of associative dimensions fully detailed (ie what are and what aren't valid constraints, constraining to end points vs mid points, etc.?)

It looks like I can associate with the 2D Representation of the "Wall" PIO, but not with any other PIOs that I tried or with any 3D component of the wall, which would probably be in keeping with being "additions."

I'm just really trying to understand this. Thanks!