Export to VW 2010 not working

I am trying to export a textured 3D model to VW 2010 to see if it works in the last version of VW before the C4D render engine was used.

The model is a mesh and works fine in VW 2015 and 2016 but when I export it to 2010 the textures disappear.

I had a closer look and saw that the texture mapping fell into a category I had not seen before called "imported" which is not an option in 2010, or at least it doesn't appear to be

Is this something that has only been implemented recently and does not export back to previous versions?

If I make the model out of Polys it does export but it is much bigger and not so usable so I am keen to get it to work with the mesh.

Oh and I noticed that the option to export to VW 2010 is no longer in VW 2016 but is still in 2015, anyone know why this is?

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by Mattheng
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Vectorworks 2010 is before the current solid modeling and rendering engines were added, (I think this used the LightWorks engine) a lot of functionality is lost, which is why it was removed from the export menu entirely in the current version.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

"Imported" mapping style wasn't ever an option with the old Lightworks renderer, so it unfortunately wouldn't be able to understand that mapping type and that would make sense as to why the textures didn't appear.

I can't get too specific user counts because... rules. But I CAN tell you that 80% of our user base that have versions that connect to the internet (so anything since Vectorworks 12.5, but not including any B or C series dongled versions) are on Vectorworks 2014 or above, with something like 35% always keeping the most recent version within months of release.

(They recently brought online some very cool data visualization stuff here, I wouldn't have been able to give details like that even a year ago)