Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Pulling Z value of symbol and set to Y Value?

JSpodick

Im not very experienced in Python or VS but use VWX Spotlight for theatrical drafting and light plots every day. I have been exploring Marionette for months trying to make the following happen:

I want to basically create a version of the "plot and model view" concept that works for concert lighting.

Is there a way to create an automated workflow of pulling the Z value from a symbol (lighting device) and setting that value as the Y value? This would essentially create a nice printable view of a light plot for a back wall or 3D intensive rig displaying everything in the legend, with height of zero being the stage or floor.

Also, is there a way to reference an object without the "name" node? Such as getting objects by criteria or selection? Ive been trying with the "Obj by Criteria" and setting the criteria as SEL=TRUE, but no dice. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

hello

there is something I don't understand in the way you want to work.

If you modify a symbol all the symbols in the plot will be modified, so you cannot change the Z value of each symbol otherwise every same type of fixture would end at the same high.

If you want to change the whole plot at once (or a class or a sheet) you group what you want, you name it in the OIP, then apply the script (see image). You get a new place that will depend of your plot size. From that point (get bounding)with the math node you can write a script to get the centerline and use the deepness of the stage to get the center point.

But if you are in a 2d view the new object will still be in 2d view so no “Nice view”. To change the view you would have to rotate in 3d the group.

In the script I used the topz but of course you can use the bottom for stage 0 level.

Hope this helps

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi JSpodick-

It sounds like you are talking about showing an elevation of your light plot. If this is so I would recommend using viewports instead of Marionette. With Marionette you would either have to change the information in your lighting devices or make copies of them, and I don't think you want to do that.

Do you model your light plots in 3D?

If you would still like to use Marionette here are some suggestions. As far as the Objects by Criteria Node, it can only attach to objects by type, so it can attach all rectangles in the drawing to the network, or all symbols, but not simply those objects that are selected. There is no node currently that attaches to selected objects. A way to work around that is to group the objects and name the group, and then use a name node for the group and a contents node to access the objects inside the group. The other way to do that is use an Objects by Criteria node with it set to T=Symbol and then to filter out the objects by using some sort of conditional network. Any node that has a boolean output along with the filter node can be used to filter a list.

Also, the orient node is a good way to change the plane of your objects.