Shift key not working

If you are on OS 10, this is a known OS 10 bug with the OS.

To get the shift and other function keys to work, you will need to restart. When the problem crops up again, you will need to restart again.

If you update to OS 10.2.4 using the combo updater or OS 10.2.5 using the combo updater, the shift and other keys should work as they should.

For further inquiry on this issue, you should contact Apple.

• 1 year later...

Yes.

You should run disk utility to verify and repair disk permissions. That will slow down the occurance of it. Otherwise, reboot the computer and all should be well again.

Normally when it happens in one application, it will not happen in any other application. A number of our users, along with several people at NNA have duplicated the problem in applications outside of VectorWorks. (Apple has too)

• 9 months later...

Katie, i recently upgraded 20 Macs to OS X.3.9 running VW 11.5... and only 1 machine has this problem. our machines are setup with different accounts. when the shift key for multiple selction and option key for crossing stops working for one account, i log off and log in as a different user and everything works fine.... i log back in as the user with the problem and it will fix the problem about half the time. you mention to repair permissions which i have done and it works.... for about 15 minutes. i can restart the machine and it works.... for about 15 minutes.... basically, VW is not usable for that account. what's strange is that there is no problem for other accounts on that machine. another thing is that there was no problem at all for the first week the machine was in use.... then all of a sudden...

[Confused]

This is not a VW problem, it's a problem with the OS. Apple has it well documented in their knowledge base.

I suggest you contact them about this.

The other option is to create a new user account to see if the problem is less persistent. If it is, then the original user account is corrupt beyond repair of Disk Utility.