Introspection with Python?

Hi

Im quite glad that python has been integrated into vectorworks for the 2014. Really hoping to get my hands on this upgrade!

Question: Is it possible to have access to the document lists through python?

For example, In some projects, I would like to display some lists of objects/symbols in a tabular way so that I can sort them and have easy access to them.

Is this possible with the python framework or even with the C++ SDK?

Many Thanks

Miguel

Guest Jim Kelly

I have a feeling that introspection in Vectorworks and Vectorscript may mean something else than it does to me as a programmer, but if by introspection you mean the general programming term, yes Python has some really powerful introspection features:

http://www.diveintopython.net/power_of_introspection/

Particularly powerful is the dir() method which allows you to get a list of all methods and variables on an object that you pass to it. Really helpful if documentation isn't clear on something and for debugging purposes.

If you already know this and/or that isn't what you meant, well, perhaps it will be of interest to someone else that comes along. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi

I wasn't referring to object introspection within the python language, but "object" introspection within the vectorworks framework.

For example, would I be able to develop a plugin, in python, that would find all spotlight instruments with a certain "Dimmer" value and create a selection with these?

Many Thanks

Miguel