dxf table import/

Workplane Depth

Question

5 answers to this question

First off, by tables I'm assuming you are talking about spreadsheets and not furniture. And are they dxf or dwg?

So are your original dxf/dwg tables actual spreadsheets or just lines and text? What program did they come from? I know in AutoCAD, every table I've ever worked with that came from an architect wasn't an actual table or spreadsheet, it was just dumb lines and text arranged to look like a table. As far as I know (which isn't much) AutoCAD has no built in functionality for spreadsheets/worksheets like VW has. If I remember correctly, when I run the create table command in AutoCAD Architecture it creates a table out of lines and text, not an actual spreadsheet. So there isn't much VW could do in translation - garbage in, garbage out. I have inserted Excel spreadsheets into AutoCAD for tables as an OLE object. I have no idea how that would translate through the dxf/dwg engine though. At the very least you'd still need the original, referenced Xcel file. It's hard to say without knowing the condition of the original tables.

Edited by Monadnoc

Hi Monadnoc

Autocad itself, dwg and or dxf files can and do support tables (with functionality equivalent to worksheets). I have sent a copy of such a file to Ozcad our distributor in the hope they forward it on.

The table is pulverised in the import process by VW 2013 SP3 and converted to "dumb lines and text".

Thats not very useful behaviour, for us anyway.

Regards

Are you sure about that? I always thought tables in AutoCAD Architecture were either OLE objects from Excel or pseudo-tables made up of lines and text but linked to attributes. But I'm not positive, and I haven't tried them since R2009. Once I realized they weren't true spreadsheets I always used Excel OLE objects for tables. But it could be something new. I'm not at work now so I can't see how ACAD Architecture 2013 does it now. If I have time tomorrow I'll investigate.