Lighting quality and Exporting

Mattheng

It looks like you can reduce the grain in your environment lit exports by pushing up the DPI as well as the quality of the lighting in your Custom Renderworks settings. It also seems that if you just ignore HDRI lighting (ie use an HDRI as the Vectorworks background but do NOT select it as a light source and use Ambient plus a few light sources) you get no grain at all, decent shadows if you want them and everything runs noticeably more quickly.

To prove all this I ran the same scene and exported it to a PDF as different DPI's with all the different qualities of environment lighting and then with Indirect lighting for all the different bounce settings. I then dropped the HDRI and put in Ambient at 51% ( not 35% as it was a bit gloomy) and ran it at medium for environment lighting and Indirect with one bounce just to see what non HDRI looked like.

This took a loooong time and generated far too many files to post so I will just put the extremes (still going to take a few posts) but it does make very interesting viewing.

Now some Indirect lighting. The quality of the Indirect lighting does make a difference to the effect of the HDRI lighting under the table, the number of bounces brightens everything up and does seem to spread the light more evenly.

Edited by Mattheng