Annotation Object Linking

bradd

Question

Our office produces large construction document sets for highly detailed custom homes. All drawing is done in 2d (though we use many of the 3d objects like walls, doors, etc. and just view them in 2d), but is treated as a model in the sense that multiple viewports at multiple scales, each showing different information, reference the same drawing (either plan/section/elevation). An example... An elevation drawing at 1/4"=1' on sheet A-200 will have a detail bubble that references a bay elevation at 1/2" = 1' on sheet A-405... which shows mortar joints rather than just single line brick coursing. However, as the document set evolves, that bay elevation may get moved to sheet A-406 and then back to A-405. So here is a feature that I would love to have:

Instead of typing text into the "Item" and "Sheet" fields, I would like to be able to link Reference Markers and Section/Elevation markers to the actual viewports, and have the fields automatically filled with the appropriate information based on the name of the Sheet Layer that the Viewport is located on, and the "Item" of the drawing label in that Viewport's annotations... which brings me to the other facet of this feature:

The Viewport name and "Drawing Title" in the drawing label could be linked to one another. Changing one changes the other. Likewise, the "Sheet" field on the drawing label could be linked to the name of the sheet layer. Changing the sheet layer name automatically updates all of the drawing titles on that sheet.

Essentially, what I am asking for is a scenario in which the user inputs the Drawing name and Item Number in the drawing title object associated with a particular viewport, and this information combined with the title of the sheet layer become global properties of the given viewport. All other annotation objects can then reference the viewport by way of a "link". A change to any of the three properties is then reflected automatically by all annotation objects linked to that viewport.

It would also be nice to set up text boxes to autofill based on the content of a selected field.

I'm sure there would be reasons to override this feature, so perhaps it could be an option as a check box similar to the "Auto Set Relative to Ref Elev" and "Use Control Point" options of the Elevation Benchmark.

Also, It would be nice to have an ID Tag tool that didn't require a Plug-In-Object in order to create an ID Tag. Essentially, I'd like to be able to drop in an ID Tag in the viewport annotations and then choose the format (Circle, Hex, Square, Etc.) and modify the ID number, similar to the way a Reference Marker can be used currently.

I'm currently using Vectorworks 2008... so if any of these features are available on later releases, please comment and give me an excuse to upgrade.

Edited by bradd

1 answer to this question

Update:

I was shown a video that illustrates something like this became available in Vectorworks 2010 Designer. It seems like this should be a part of Architect too.

Does anyone out there who has used this tool know the intricacies of it? Does it only work when the section viewport tool is used to create the reference marker, or can you manually link any reference marker to any viewport?

Thanks

Edited by bradd