frustrating selection tool/previous view functionality

okay, this is driving me batty!

Is there a way to turn off the previous view memory of the tools? It seems as though if I am using either the selection tool or the hand tool, and I switch to 3D (anything but Top/Plan), and then look around and then go back to top/plan, when I switch back to either of the two tools, I'm back in 3D view again. I have to toggle back and forth between the tools, and switch back manually to top/plan IN EACH TOOL just to be able to get back to a plan view.

If this is the default, then it's the most frustrating tool default I've ever seen (se my post about software usage). I fail to see the point of having timeline-based interactivity married to a selection tool. Or is this a bug in the ostensibly improved SP3. I cannot recall this happening in SP2.

I just want to be able to switch temporarily to an elevation view (in my Mod-XXX layers) so I can see how things are fitting together, and then go back to my plan and continue drawing. This seems like a totally RUDIMENTARY function.

Any ideas? how do I turn this off?

Thanks!

charlie

Edited by mr. iagea