Move tool needs update

Dieter @ DWorks

Question

situation now:

The move tool moves objects and can duplicate them also.

When you not set the option to keep the original object, the tool duplicates the objects first and then delete the original objects. this is the way it's programmed.

I had no problems with that in the past, but now I do. Why you ask?

1) When you duplicate viewports, the viewport renames itselfs because it's first duplicated. So viewport 'VP level +1' becomes 'VP level +2'. It's confusing and you must rename it everytime.

2) The objects you move go to the top of the stacking order.

I think it will be better if the programmers change the behavier to move first if the option to keep the original object is not checked.

2 answers to this question

Agreed.

And, it's incredibly inefficient to toggle between a simple move, duplicate, or distribute. Many times have I zoomed in to move an object only to zoom out and see many copies spread across the sheet. When you're in the move tool, there is no convenient way to tell if it will move or duplicate or distribute the object on your next click.

Like most tools in VW,I find the move tool horribly modal and inefficient. I constantly find myself pausing to check if a tool will do A or B in a particular case. The VW designers really need to stop and learn how to design a non-modal interface.

ThreeDot