Door Tool Enhancement

ErichR

Question

As complex as the door tool is, it sure would be nice to be able to show hardware: round or lever handles, louvers, kickplates, etc.

Under the Part dropdown, there could be "Louver" and you could specify the size.

Also there could be "Handle", round and lever.

Save "Kickplate" for a future version.

6 answers to this question

Have you tried the hardware checkbox in the Data tab of the Door Settings window?

If you click Include Hardware>Browse>select one of the options and click Edit, you can select from a number of locksets, both knob and lever.

Not sure how to add new ones though, or if you could make kickplates.

You might be able to make a louvered panel using the custom leaf option in the Parts tab. There is a selection of doors that you might be able to modify to show louvers.

HTH's

What I did, Katie, is make a symbol of the door so that the modified door could be replicated. Then, in the door symbol/PIO editing windows, settings functions, did just what boxjoint suggested. Then looked at the door in 3D. Nothing appeared within the symbol edit subset or in the drawing outside that to indicate that I had done anything.

Sounds like there is an intended capability that is a bit beyond the reach of some of us, dating back some years, and including growing up with MiniCad. (I guess you have to be a lot smarter than me to use VW in this context)

Edited by ErichR

ErichR,

For some reason, it doesn't seem to work if you make the symbol first. Perhaps Katie can explain why.

However, I tried adding the lockset by clicking the door tool, then clicking the little preferences icon in the "mode" (?) bar (the rightmost icon above the drawing window). This opens the settings window. I chose a lockset by clicking Browse>Edit>Symbol>(choose symbol)>OK>Done>OK. Then double clicking on the drawing to place the symbol. The lockset shows up in 3d views (but not 2d).

It seems like you can make a symbol of it from there if you need to.

Believe me, I don't find this at all easy. Lots and lots of trial and error, so don't feel bad.

Let me know if it works.

Edited by boxjoint

boxjoint, thanks, but it's really not worth my time to get into something like this that has limited results.

The workaround is to build a 3D door handle (and a 3D door louver, and kickplate), and stick it on each of the doors in the 3D model layer (where layers are linked and the layer is used for creating Renderworks bitmaps and viewports). This stuff could more effectively be put within the door symbol in an edited 3D view, I guess, but I'm working with a tiny building with only 6 (identical) doors.

Regardless, the developers ought to make the effect usable; hence this post, in this Wishlist forum.