Delete Button not Working

If I select a certain number of objects and hit the delete button nothing happens. I've noticed this before. It seems that sometimes if you zoom in on the objects, then they can be deleted. And sometimes if you hit Ctrl-x, they will disappear.

This is 12.5.2 on a WXP PC, but I think this is a long-running problem.

Is this a bug?

I've tried zooming in and out to different levels, sometimes to good effect and sometimes not. If a group of objects is too large, or complex, it seems, then the less the likelihood of being able to delete them; reducing the number of objects sometimes helps.

I had it again. No operation tool is in action. And I have it when I select my objects with 'Alt+Select' and not with 'Select'.

So I think the problem is with Alt Selecting objects.

Not working of Del and zooming also depends on how much you are zoomed in. I am trying to see how it reacts to it. but everytime I try to zoom in and out and see how it works on different zoom levels, it changes the action. I mean that it first didn't work on 200 zoom factor and after zooming out and in several times, it does works on 200 zoom factor.

This is a very strange case.

I tested it in VW 11.5.

PS: hitting Esc will solve the problem and your Del will work.

Edited by DWorks

Katie,

I can't tell you the degree of zooming - haven't studied it scientifically. This is a persistent problem that has been going on for some time, over several VW versions, and in different drawings, so it can't be unknown to VW techs, and it should be able to be replicated. As Dworks points out, it may have something to do with Alt-Select.

I'm asking the questions to further narrow down the problems.

It's not listed in either of the databases as a known issue & to my knowledge & experience, is not reproducable.

Are you using the alt-select when you have the problem?

Using the alt-select is not necessary to replicate the problem. I'm sure there is a relationship between the number of objects selected and whether or not the delete command will work. Selecting a number of 3D objects helps to ensure failure. I've go so far as to reduce the number of undos to zero thinking this might help.

I tried to select many objects on different zoom levels with alt+select. and this is what i found out:

The delete button is not working some of the time (so not always) and mostly the times I'm more zoomed in, Although it also sometimes happens when I'm zoomed out a lot, but rarely. So I do not think it is because of the number of selected objects alone. I think it is more of the combination of selected objects, zoom level, and way of selecting (alt+select). But I can't find the relationship between them. It so uncertain.

Hopefully we can solve this and find why it is happening.

NVIDIA Quadro NVS 120M

After spending way too much time trying to find a rhyme or reason for the bug - I haven't found any except to note the following:

It seemed to happen maybe 1/50 times or so (although I know in the past it seems to have happened much more often)

It doesn't seem to matter if it is one object or many - it can happen either way.

My best guess is that the software is somehow "sticking" the alt key. I did notice that holding the alt key would prevent you from deleting, in normal operation. When it does happen, you can press delete as many times as you want with no results. Press alt again, and now you can delete.

Any others find that pressing alt again re-enables your delete key when it happens?

Edited by Jhaceun

Sweet!

I love puzzles way too much. I've found a way to reproduce it:

-Select your objects any way

-Press alt key and release

-Delete button doesn't work

Press alt once again and it works - so the alt key is acting as a toggle to disable the delete function while objects are selected.

You can put my name next to this entry in the next bug release list :)

Edited by Jhaceun

My best guess is that the software is somehow "sticking" the alt key. I did notice that holding the alt key would prevent you from deleting, in normal operation. When it does happen, you can press delete as many times as you want with no results. Press alt again, and now you can delete.

Any others find that pressing alt again re-enables your delete key when it happens?

that's actually it! The mistery is solved!