simple plans never work out

I'm trying to do something which didn't seem in the least a problem in the beginning: for the girdle of a staircase I would draw an arc, move one of the ends along on the z-axis to the upper floor, convert it to a NURB and extrude a profile along that path ('extrude along path', isn't it). This simple plan didn't come out in the least. I couldn't even get the end of the circle up, converting it (to anything I could think of) didn't help. Finally I drew the NURBS curve by putting a number of loci, and then 'extrude along path' wouldn't work the way I expected. I finally ended up doing 'tapered extrude', but it isn't really what I wanted. And I don't even want to think about the banisters the designers will want to add....

Any tips will be welcome

COnverting a polygon to a nurb can often times lead to problems when using extrude along path. Some of the detail isn't carried over or accuracy is lost.

You can extrude a circle along an arc if you want, which would alleviate having to convert to a nurbs and end up losing accuracy.