Layers for dummies

I confess that I don't use layers - yet, so have little experience...

What I'm trying to do - in Spotlight 10.5, is "transfer" the lables of spare instruments - units not used on a plot, but that exist as part of a master rep plot, to a second layer so as to grey out the spares - while still leaving the units themselves bold, but making the lables less visable - or greyed out, making the units that re in use more readily visible. I know I can assign various lables a class, but only across the entire plot, not on only certain units.

I don't want to cut and paste these units to another layer, as that changes the UID - or so I' have ben told, could be wrong.

Is there a way to define as: Units that have no channel numbers have their lables go to the "Spare Units" layer ?, or something similar.

Thanks in advance

Steve B.

You can set the different labels in a different class and make that class invisible.

Select the ones you want invisible or grayed (after creating your custom class) and move them via the OIP Class drop down box.

In your scenario, classes are the ideal way to achieve the desired look.