Wall Tool & Subtract Solids

clmunich

I've built a wall using the Wall Tool. I need to place a hole in that wall 1/2 way up and about 4'wide and 6' tall. I can do this by drawing the shape and then use the Subtract Solids Command. This works but it seems to make the wall properties disappear, turning it into a grouped object (I lose fills, etc.). ie. I lose the properties of a wall and I can no longer shade or hatch in 2d. If I go into group edit, then it still looks fine but in the drawing itself, there is no shade. If I Ungroup the object (formerly a wall), it reappears as a wall, but the hole I'd created goes away. Any ideas? Better ways to put a hole in a wall?

Thanks

Chrissie

quote:

Originally posted by clmunich:
I've built a wall using the Wall Tool. I need to place a hole in that wall 1/2 way up and about 4'wide and 6' tall. ....goes away. Any ideas? Better ways to put a hole in a wall?

You can create an official Acme "hole" symbol to insert into the wall. Create 3-d locus points in space to define the perimeter of your hole. Insert the symbol in the wall and voila one hole in wall, Bugs Bunny would be proud.

You can even create an irregularly shaped hole in the wall using this method. The only caveat is that you can't have any convex edges. Think about stretching a rubberband around your locus points and that's how VectorWorks will cut the wall. If you have a point that doesn't touch the rubberband it will be ignored.

quote:

Originally posted by lalcaraz:
Kevin

What do you mean by "Acme "hole" symbol"?

Where do I get this?

Thank you

Lonnie

Didn't you watch Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner when you were growing up? :-) The ACME company made everything from camouflage and plaid paint, to invisibility spray, to giant sized rocket sleds, to the Instant Hole that can be applied to any surface. Throw it against a brick wall. Step through and then reach back and peel the hole back off the wall just before Wile E. Coyote gets to the wall. He then promptly crashes headlong into the wall.

By creating a 3-d symbol that consists of some 3-d locus points you can create your own virtual Instant Hole. This can then be inserted into any wall and will, as if by magic, cut a hole in the wall without all of the messy solid subtractions additions etc.

I'm sorry if my tongue planted firmly in cheek ACME Hole reference confused the advice for creating a hole in a wall using 3-d locus points in a symbol.

;-)

Kevin

I was translating your ACME to ANSI and thought I was missing something. I apreciated your analogy.

I am still missing something.

Am I supposed to place 4 3d Locus points the size of the hole, then create them as a symbol?

Then place the symbol on the wall?

No matter what I do, I do not see the wall.

I am sure I am doing something simply dumb.

If you can send me a file that does it, so I can look at it, that would be great.

I believe you have my address,

Lonnie Alcaraz

quote:

Originally posted by lalcaraz:
I am still missing something.

Am I supposed to place 4 3d Locus points the size of the hole, then create them as a symbol?

Then place the symbol on the wall?

This is exactly correct. You will have to be in a "rendering" mode other than wireframe to see the results of the hole. If you do openGL or shaded solids or any other rendering mode you'll see the hole.

quote:

]
If you can send me a file that does it, so I can look at it, that would be great.

I believe you have my address,

I do and I will.