Non-linear wall heights

Cloud Hidden

Question

My absolute biggest need is an easier way to make walls rise to meet a non-linear roof. I design domes, so the exterior will be some compound curve shape. Interior walls are sometimes built right up to the dome. When designing this, I have to make the wall as tall as the dome, then 3D section each wall plane and point by point, 3D Reshape each wall top to fit the curve. This takes next to forever, and literally doubles the time to do a design. Either having walls fit a NURBS curve, or allowing symbols (sinks, doors, etc) to behave the same way in a pseudo-wall created with extrudes and NURBS as they do in a real wall would be a huge step forward.

2 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by Cloud Hidden:

My absolute biggest need is an easier way to make walls rise to meet a non-linear roof. I design domes, so the exterior will be some compound curve shape. Interior walls are sometimes built right up to the dome. When designing this, I have to make the wall as tall as the dome, then 3D section each wall plane and point by point, 3D Reshape each wall top to fit the curve. This takes next to forever, and literally doubles the time to do a design.

Have you considered just letting the walls go through the roof? You could simply create a nurbs curve for each of the lines you need, if you need them in hidden line mode. Then if you need an outside view, hide the class the walls are in while you render.

I assume you want to be able to add windows and doors after finishing the wall, so simply sectioning the wall to trim off the top does not work for your needs.

Thanks for thinking about it. A lot of the walls are interior/exterior--i.e. walls that are visible from the outside and so cannot be hidden. Do need doors and windows, and that's the biggest problem with nurbs "walls"--I'd have to subtract the doorframe from the wall.

I'm even contemplating doing a separate floorplan from 3D model, but boy, that seems like a time-waster. Between this and symbols not duplicating in curved walls, I'm spending lots of time doing grunt work that a coupla features could make a whole lot easier.