PIO Dimensioning

I am working on a Plug In to layout a stage. I originally created it to just run off a script but now am transitioning to making it a PIO. My issue is now that it is an object, the dimensions for width and depth do not show up unless in Top/plan view and everything else is hidden. I am certain that I did not change anything with the dimensions or the symbols used in switching from a script to a PIO

This is the Top View and it shows the symbols that make up the object

Screenshot2024-02-27164308.thumb.png.6490e40d71fee7eeca1a07ed752be5b9.png

This is the Top/Plan view that shows only the dimensions.

Screenshot2024-02-27164231.thumb.png.92b82e6f5b8aed5a85f46dd9e1897b45.png

The PIO is going to function just like a symbol with separate 2D/3D. The stage pieces are being treated as 3d and the dimensions are 2D, hence why you're only seeing the dimensions in 2D. There's a couple different solutions for this depending on your needs:

1) Assign the dim objects to the ground plane with vs.SetPlanarRefIDToGround() and then they will show in 3D with the rest of it. If everything is 3D it will always draw the same in 2D and 3D. It'll work but it's not always the most optimal approach.

2A) Draw a 2D version of the stage pieces as well as the 3D. Just like a symbol you'll see the simplified 2D version when in 2D only and the full detailed in 3D.

2B) Use vs.Generate2DFrom3DComp() to have Vectorworks figure out the 2D version of your 3D for you. It can get slow depending on your 3D but would likely be just fine for something basic like some rectangular platforms

• Like 2