Sign in to follow this  
johnharley

Better Offset Tool

Question

Please do something to improve the use of the offset tool! In its present form in is cumbersome (and down right irritating). My biggest complaint is that the newly created line,arc,etc. is active(selected).Therefore to offset a new item (or the other side) you have to deselect the newly create item. I admit this is useful if you want an offset of the newly created object (such as parking spaces). As a Land planner I use the offset tool ALOT, mostly for roads and right-of-ways, but also lots lines and yard setbacks. What would really be great (since we're talkin wishlist) would be a user setting where you could specify "offset to one side" or "offset on both sides". But in any case the newly created object should simply appear, so you can use the tool again immediately elsewhere. Thanks for listening.

2 answers to this question

I'd also like to see it worked on, to streamline multiple offsets.

Could the dimension dialogue pop up spontaneously? And, couldn't it contain the last (you name it)..say 10, offset dimensions used, so one could select / reuse a dimension quite easily.

The same sort of dialogue might work for the Move command, wall thicknesses,...others?

Carl

Amen!!, Adding the dimension pop-up to the dialog box would really help. One more minor suggestion. Could the icon be tweaked just slighlty? When the tool is activated the user preference icons (upper left) show offset lines meeting with a corner. However, the icon on the tool bar shows offset lines meeting with a "rounded" corner. I quite often pick this by mistake for the fillet command. (I hope I'm not be too nit-picky)