Pass variables back into the PIO and update on changes?

I have a linear Object Plug-in which effectively draws a nurbs curve at the length. What I'm not able to figure out is that I want to be able to pass a calculated value back into the OIP as a StaticText(?) which updates when a parameter is changed or the line control points are dragged. Basically a functioning version of this:

vs.vsoAppendParamWidget(13, 1000, "Value: ", VARIABLE)

I'm at a little bit of a loss as to how to do that and I'm missing something about how the OIP works. It seems like the guide I need to copy and then the vague steps are below? Is that the right direction? I don't think I need to make the calculated variable a parameter, just updating the text should be fine since it's just as a user reference. 

https://developer.vectorworks.net/index.php/User:CBM-c-/Plug-in_with_widget_basic_example

1. Set the OIP to be customizable

2. Draw all the 'default' fields

3. Add a widget with the new calculated value.

4. The above link's code handles the 'listening for changes' part and 'redraws' the OIP on changes.

to pass back a value to a parameter you use

vs.SetRField(plugin_handle, plugin_name, parameter_name, str(value))

the parameter_name here is just the static text parameter you've created or added in the Plugin Definition, set under Plugin-Manger>Edit Definition

If you want to have static text as part of your OIP, you don't need to necessarily make your plug-in Event-Based.  All you need to do is have a parameter with the Type set to Static Text.  You then use a combination of vs.GetCustomObjectInfo to get a handle to the plug-in object, and vs.SetRField to update the parameter.

My Python is SUPER rusty, I tend to develop in Vectorscript, but attached is a super simple example of a Point Object that updates its location in the OIP via a Static Text parameter.

Simple Static Text Example.vso

Edited by Jesse Cogswell