Solid fills in layer 'overlay mode' don't print

Nicholas Weedon

Question

8 answers to this question

The overlay mode is a transparency like affect.

This is not supported when printing to PS printers. All objects on an overlay layer will print as they would on a paint layer.

Hi again,

We upgraded from Mac OS 9 to X at the same time. [Maybe my wry comment about the benefits of upgrades are better directed to Apple]. The printers are the same- though we had to update the drivers to work with OS X. If you are familier with such issues, we'd appreciate any advice. In case it helps, the printers are Epson Stylus Colour 1150 and HP Designjet 450C- the latter driven by a UK based software called Microspot X-Rip. It's worth noting that the solid colour fill overlays disappear on print preview irrespective of the printer selected. Graded fills behave as if in 'paint' mode.

Thanks, Nick.

Xrip is limited in this area. It does not have all the same options as the ripping software under OS 9. They are working on expanding the XRip software in the near future.

Did you have transparency prints with this printer under OS 9?

I think under OS 9, this printer utilized QuickDraw to do the transparency printing. OS 10 dropped this from what I understand .. so if the printer relied on QD to print transparent, then OS 10 can't do it.

And yes .. you can take it up with Apple. VW can only do what the printer/OS allow us to do.

Thanks very much for that. It's definitely an OSX and also X-Rip issue. We have got around it by keeping OS9 on board, devising a way of opening VW10 within OS9 and using this whenever we need to print overlaid colours. Thought I'd tell you as I found others have battled with this under the 'printing from VW' forum.

In VW 10.5, you can check mark print as raster and the overlay mode should print with transparency.

If you want VW to launch in OS 9, close VW.

Go to the VW folder.

Get info on the application (blue v with the red arrow).

Check mark Launch in Classic Mode.

Close that dialog box.

Double click on VW and classic should launch and VW will run in OS 9 classic while still working in OS 10.

Please note, running classic mode in OS 10 can use of a good chunk of memory. If you are doing memory intensive operations in VW, you may run in memory related problems.