Basic Shape Creation

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by buttercre8r:

I'm new to this program, but not new to this type of drawing... so I'm having some trouble finding the right way to achieve a seemingly simple result.

I create a circle. Then do a tapered extrude. I'd like to do 3 things at this point:

1) Turn the flat top into a dome (without affecting the tapered extrude)

2) Fillet the edge where the dome meets the tapered extrude for a smooth transition.

3) Finally, I'd like to extrude another shape from that dome so that my new extrusion follows the curve of the dome.

If you want a hemisphere on top of your tapered extrude, you can use the "set working plane" tool to set the top face of the extruded circle as your working plane (use the second mode). Then view the extrude from the top, and use the hemisphere creation tool to create the hemisphere.

You'll want to use solid addition to add the hemisphere to the tapered extrude before you can fillet the join.

I'm new to this program, but not new to this type of drawing... so I'm having some trouble finding the right way to achieve a seemingly simple result.

I create a circle. Then do a tapered extrude. I'd like to do 3 things at this point:

1) Turn the flat top into a dome (without affecting the tapered extrude)

2) Fillet the edge where the dome meets the tapered extrude for a smooth transition.

3) Finally, I'd like to extrude another shape from that dome so that my new extrusion follows the curve of the dome.

All thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff T.

I found that sweeping takes care of that... although not as easily adjustable.

Also, #3 on my original post...

------

------

Example: I create a dome and I have some text (or other object). I'd like that text or object to "wrap" over top of the dome.

All help is sincerely appreciated as I get going with this program.

Thank you,

Jeff T.