Creating Roof Objects Vectorworks offers two ways to create a roof for a structure:
The Create Roof command creates a roof by selecting the object(s) that the roof will be based upon (including walls, polygons, polylines, and arcs).
The Roof Face command converts any closed 2D object into a roof face object.
The Create Roof command creates a roof object with multiple faces based on specified parameters. A great variety of roof types can be created by this method, and they can include roof elements such as gables and skylights. Once the walls of a structure are complete, select the walls that the roof will be based upon, and specify the roof parameters. Alternatively, select a polygon or polyline as the basis for the roof.
To create a roof object:
1. Select the walls, polygon, or polyline that the roof will be based upon. Shift-click to select multiple walls. If the building has an attachment, such as a garage, that will have a different roof structure, then select only the desired walls.
2. Select Model > AEC > Create Roof. In the Design Series, the Create Roof command is located here: AEC > Create Roof (or Landmark > AEC > Create Roof). The Create Roof dialog box opens. Enter the desired criteria to create the roof object. The parameters are illustrated in the roof diagram. Certain default parameters are suggested based on the selected roof parameters.
Eave Profile Select the roof edge appearance
- Square: angled fascia, soffit edges
- Vertical: vertical fascia, angled soffit edges
- Horizontal: no fascia, horizontal soffit edges
- Double: vertical fascia, horizontal soffit edges
Vertical - Specifies the vertical length for a double miter eave.
Horizontal - Specifies the horizontal length for a double miter eave.
Thickness - Specifies the roof thickness.
Bearing Inset - Specifies how far the bearing wall cuts into the roof.
Roof Pitch - Specifies the roof pitch as an angle or rise:run ratio; click Calculate for an automatic calculation based on bearing height, eave height, and eave overhang.
Bearing Height - Specifies the height of the rafter plate or top plate above the wall layer Z height where the roof will be supported; click Calculate for an automatic calculation based on roof pitch, eave height, and eave overhang.
Eave Height - Specifies the height of the lowest portion of the roof; click Calculate for an automatic calculation based on roof pitch, bearing height, and eave overhang.
Eave Overhang - Specifies the distance that the roof extends beyond the bearing wall; click Calculate for an automatic calculation based on roof pitch, bearing height, and eave height.
Layer - Assigns the roof object to a layer. By default, the roof is created in the active design layer. To create the roof in a different layer, select an existing layer from the list, or select New Layer to create a new layer.
Class - Assigns the roof object to a class. The standard roof class, Roof-Main, is available as an option and if it is selected, it is created in the file if it did not already exist. Alternatively, select New Class to create a new class. Retain Original Objects Retains the source object(s) that formed the basis of the roof
3. Click OK. Vectorworks creates a hip roof over the selected object(s) using the criteria set in the Create Roof dialog box.
Edited by JimW