During a batch conversion, Vectorworks scans all files in the source folder (and in sub-folders, optionally), and converts previous version files to the current format. Non-Vectorworks files and Vectorworks files that are too old to convert are skipped and recorded in the log file.There are two options for Vectorworks files during batch conversions:
- By default, Vectorworks moves the previous version files to an archive folder and places the converted versions of those files in the source folder.
- Alternatively, Vectorworks makes no changes to the source folder. Instead, the converted files (and copies of any current version Vectorworks files) are placed in a specified folder.
To convert a batch of files:
1. Place all files to be converted in one folder, or in sub-folders within the source folder.
2. In Vectorworks, select File > Batch Convert.
The Batch Convert dialog box opens. Choose to open either the Choose Source Folder dialog box (Macintosh) or the Browse for Folder dialog box (Windows); select the folder that contains the files you want to convert, and then click Choose (Macintosh) or OK (Windows) to return to the Batch Convert dialog box
- Destination Folder - To place the converted files into a different folder, click Choose to open either the Choose Destination Folder dialog box (Macintosh) or the Browse for Folder dialog box (Windows). Select the folder, and then click Choose (Macintosh) or OK (Windows) to return to the Batch Convert dialog box, then deselect Convert in place.
- Include subfolders - Converts the files within the sub-folders of the source folder
- Convert in place - Moves the original Vectorworks files to an archive folder, and places the newly converted files in the original source file locations. The archive folder is created within the source folder and is named “Old Version Vectorworks Files.” Deselect this option to place the converted files in the destination folder and make no changes to the source folder.
- Convert layer links into viewports(Design Series required) - Creates viewports on design layers that reference one or more layers within the same file. Select this option to convert any layer links in the older version files into viewports. See Presenting Drawings with Design Layer Viewports.
- Convert referenced layers into referenced viewports(Design Series required) - Creates viewports on design layers that reference one or more layers in an external file. Select this option to convert any referenced layers in the older version files into viewports.
- Convert absolute references into relative references(Design Series required) - Converts workgroup references with absolute file paths to relative file paths, if a relative file path is allowed. A relative file path is not allowed if the file is on a different volume from the referenced file.
3. Click OK to convert the files.Each file is briefly opened and re-saved into the appropriate folder. Sub-folder names and hierarchies are recreated, if they are included in the conversion process. If Convert in place is selected, the original files are moved to the archive folder, in the original sub-folder structure.
4. Once the conversion is complete, the Batch Conversion Results dialog box displays a summary.
- Total files in source folder - The total number of files contained in the specified source folder
- Total files successfully converted - The total number of files successfully converted by the Batch Convert command
- Total current version files copied - The total number of files that were already in the current version of Vectorworks; if Convert in place is selected, the files are left in place in the original folder; if Convert in place is not selected, the files are copied to the destination folder
- Total files not converted - The total number of files that were not converted
- Not a Vectorworks file - The number of files that were not converted because they were not Vectorworks files
- Unsupported Vectorworks file version - The number of files that were not converted because they were MiniCAD 6 or an earlier version, which is not supported by the Batch Convert command
- Unknown reasons - The number of files that were not converted, for which Vectorworks could not detect a reason
- One or more files had solid conversion errors - This message indicates that one or more of the successfully converted files contained a solid that could not be properly generated by the Parasolid kernel. Check the log file to see which files had solid conversion failures. You may be able to edit the converted geometry and regenerate the solids. (See Parasolid Modeling Kernel for more information.)
5. Click Details to view a log file with information about each file processed during the conversion.
Edited by JimW