All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. XOP15

Stage Deck Fill

Hi Pat, Thanks for your ideas, yes a very easy work around indeed ....... I actually though it was something I was missing with the Subtracted Solid but of course it has no 2D components, Probably because I subtracted from the deck which has 2D I was expecting the new object to have it as well. Thanks for the help Dave.
  3. Today
  4. JMR

Joining 3 walls with different styles

As to the integrity of the top/plan views, I usually put these "helper" walls on an additional DL. It keeps the top/plan clean, but naturally creates some problems of it's own.
  5. JMR

Indeed, those situations are very difficult. Stepped buildings can be a nightmare in this sense.
  6. JMR

Custom Tile in wall

As to your visualisation; the fill and pen are not set for the REI values? That is, they are selected (apply), but the fills, colors and thicknesses have no value -> no change to the original appearance. There is some unnamed record field showing blue and black visualisation settings, which might confuse. As to another method I saw somewhere here on the forum, this doesn't use visualisation as such: Make a class for the REI text visibility control (an on/off switch) Start eg. with the stock "Gas line" linetype, make a copy of it, and replace the text with desired text (REI 30 etc). You can fiddle with the positioning and size of the text later to get it where you want, within the wall. Create a wall style that has one extra component for the REI line. Remember to set the class properly, and colors as you wish etc. Duplicate this wall style for other REI walls, change the used line type accordingly Now you have wall styles including visual representation of the fire rating, that can be turned off where desired. Within viewports, you can override the text size settings if necessary, maybe use a duplicate viewport on top with only this class visible if you want to leave other texts at original size.
  7. Benson Shaw

Best Methods for Extrude along path in multiple planes?

@line-weight - Looks like we posted about same time! Having horsed around with this some more, even with the marquee selection working, the NURBS Curves can become misshapen and require some serious vertex by vertex edits requiring a working plane or view changes. Can be done after getting the hang of it, but sheesh, what a pain! So, maybe a hybrid approach? Instead of @digitalcarbon's hardware store full of fixtures, maybe just a few path bends are needed? or make them on the fly? Start with an arc or poly of correct radius and arc length. Convert to NURBS. Snap it to end of a straight and 3d Rotate as needed to point at next station. When the run is complete, select and compose, then EAP. Or? Gotta be a way to do this. -B
  8. Benson Shaw

Um, sort of, SP3 fixed it? For NURBS Curves, marquee selection of multiple vertices is enabled again, but with a serious limitation. Except . . . If any of the vertices are changed (eg to corner) via the Reshape Tool>Change Vertex mode, then marquee select is not available anymore. If any vertices are changed and then all of them are changed again to original status, then the marquee select is able again. @HEengineering - is this consistent with your v2017 setup. Your screen capture video shows marquee select operating. What happens if you change one of the vertices to corner? Is there a bug submit on this? I will try to submit a separate thread and a bug submit over the next couple days. -B
  9. line-weight

Seems to be video evidence above that they can?
  10. line-weight

Yup. Needs to work vertically as well. This kind of thing is no good: (My current workaround for this is to stack several walls on top of each other, which makes a mess of top plan view. One of the reasons I don't use top/plan for anything except editing walls now)
  11. JMR

The wall joins are mighty important: The is no real BIM unless they cater for all possible real-life joining situations. Draggable components (in x,y,z) would be great, editable just like polygons. That would fully reflect reality. I don' know if any of the architecture cad packages can do this properly. NNA, early bird gets the worm.... 😊
  12. halfcouple

Vector addition

Is there a node for this or do I have to make three single additions for each axis ?
  13. Third, for the record. Is there a good work around that anyone has run into?
  14. lgoodkind

Project Sharing and Dropbox

FYI for anyone here. We have had HUGE issues with referenced resources using dropbox and now OneDrive as well. We have some projects with master files having 50 or more referenced resource detail files. The reason we need a cloud service is we have multiple offices in different locations. Complicating things further we use both mac and PC. EVERY TIME a file with references is opened at the other location ALL of the references have to be re-referenced REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THOSE RESOURCES ARE ABSOLUTE OR RELATIVE file paths. Iv'e read other user blogs regarding Autocad on this and it seems it works fine there with cloud services. This seems to be another massive headache UNIQUE TO VECTORWORKS. If VWorks intends to market enterprise scale offices this will have to be fixed - otherwise do not use this software if you are a large office with multiple locations and need cloud sharing.
  15. Yesterday
  16. Installed update, things are working as expected again now. Thanks much!!
  17. Full time project manager / designer for small architecture firm in San Diego. Projects include residential, mixed use, and commercial projects in San Diego and Southern California. Tend to project needs from conception to construction completion while addressing sustainability. Produce conceptual layouts, full design development, management of construction documents, materials selection, specifications. Working within budget and schedule parameters. Lead project team and assist junior project managers/project coordinators in project management. Please send resumes including salary requirements to info@ecohousegreen.com
  18. Benson Shaw

@line-weight Apologies - I don't think it's a setting. Rather it's me assuming and not testing. I find now that I also cannot marquee select multiple NURBS vertices with the Reshape tool. No way to go back and test, but I thought that was a valid process in earlier versions. I thought it might be screen plane needed, but that makes no difference, either. @HEengineering - are you able to marquee select multiple NURBS Curve vertices with the Reshape tool in Move mode? Or by other means? I'm still on v2019 SP2 but this evening will update to SP3 and post back. A stoopid workaround is to start with a 3d poly, all straight sections. Make the EAP. That 3d poly is now a NURBS path made of a bunch of corner vertices. Edit (reshape) by adding vertices in the bend segments. Every new bend vertex on that segment has to stay on the plane established by the adjacent straights - a problem if it's no straights, or they are skewed. Trying to make a NURBS bend tangent to the straights and maintain codes for min radius is visual only, therefor uncertain. sigh -B
  19. eamon

Bye Jim. Good luck!

Hi While more of a lurker than a poster, I would like to echo the sentiments expressed by other users in the announcement of Jim's departure. It is Vectorworks and also these forums loss with the exiting SR of Jim. I have often felt that he has flown the company flag in the face of user frustration and ire. Jim has, to me, being a talisman for thes forums and seemingly managed the expectations of both sides. It will be awhile before I encounter the supervision and dedication to a company forum as personified by Jim. The new moderators have big shoes to fill and I hope they can rise to the challenge. Best of luck with pastures new. Hope life will treat you well. Eamon
  20. Matt Panzer

Bye Jim. Good luck!

In a class like no other. Certainly Jim's class attributes would stand out a lot more though! 🙂
  21. zoomer

Subdivision - 2019 movie reproducing

That is why I mentioned symmetry option ... (I see it is called "Mirror Modeling Mode" and needed some time to find it and get how it works 😉 ) .... Because I thought you mirrored manually and that would be the reason for your flipped "Bridge" I think I bridged 2 Faces at that time. Have you tried closing (relatively new too) the holes on both sides and bridge these ? Will it also be flipped ?
  22. Pat Stanford

Get fill color of a class on a worksheet?

OK try the version in this file. I still think something is messing with your copy/paste from the forum into the script editor. This version is just copied and pasted from above into a new VW2019 file. Open the Resource Browser to see the Script Palette and run the script. If it does not provide the warning, them import the script into your file and see if it works properly there. Let me know. Classes to Worksheet.vwx
  23. Pat Stanford

Worksheet Summary Problem w/ Tags and Geometry Ref

It appears that the actual entered dimensions of the windows are not identical, but that they round to the same display value. That would also be why you are not able to get them to Summarize as they are not the same at a computer level even though the are on a human level. Assuming you Height and Width columns are actually displaying the information from the Window Record (=window.height) and not the worksheet functions (=height), you should be able to enter the height or width in inches into a cell so you can copy it to the clipboard. You can then paste that into a multiple selection of other cells. If you were in Inches instead of Feet-Inches it would be easier and just be a copy/paste. Or temporarily change the cell formatting to Decimal to make the copy/paste easier and then format back.
  24. line-weight

Yeah, I've tried shift, alt, cmd and so on, with no luck. Maybe I've got an obscure setting set to something somewhere.
  25. Bas Vellekoop

Subdivision - 2019 movie reproducing

The object I want to model is less 'mirrored' then it seems, so I would like to do it without mirroring. Bridging the object works, only it seems that the bridges flips over to the other corner in this case so you get this strange cross you see in the screen cap above.
  26. Samuel Derenboim

Worksheet Summary Problem w/ Tags and Geometry Ref

Update - Noticed that despite having the same dimensions, the ratio of the objects are different. Is there a way to globally update all objects ratio without having to re-enter the dimensions of every single object? The moment I update the dimensions, or retype the dimension, it updates the ratio. This also helps with the summary - it starts to summarize the contents of the the file better. Is there a way to auto update the ratios of all of the geometry that have the same dimensions dynamically? or is there a way to re enter the =height and =width columns (they remain grey). It might help with the ratio problem.
  27. Mickey

19 years!

An interesting anniversary I had to share. Today is April 19th in 2019. I joined the VW message forum or whatever it was back then on April 19th in 2000. So it's the 19th anniversary on 19th of 19. Hahaha. -may your software crash less than mine -Mickey
  28. Any ideas on how to render metal mesh curtains such as those by Cascade Coil? It'd be great to do a video walk-through with lighting or projections on a semi-transparent, highly reflective and sinuous mesh.
  1. Load more activity

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.