All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. I've been out of doing Architectural cad for some time. the following approach is working however the location of the 2d details is the problem as I reference these by way of vps to the sheet layer then crop...everything works...but if I reorg the details on the design layer then all my sheets get messed up. Maybe the details themselves need to be symbols then we just need to be able to place symbols right on the sheet layer. this way there is a disconnect between the location of something drawn on a design layer and a sheet layer. put another way. we need to "cut out the middle man" (ie design layer) and have the ability to draw details as symbols (sure you can still have your library on a design layer BUT you would place the symbol detail right on the sheet layer.
  3. @zoomer amazing c4d export from vwx24 works fine in c4d r21 🙂
  4. Thank you very much for testing. But would VW 2022 work with R23 ? (In case R21 was too old for me)
  5. But please also try to export as C4D. I am pretty sure that should work. But it would be interesting to know if not. (Beside, VW's FBX is pretty good and works great for imports in a lot of 3D Apps. Also I never noticed much if any quality difference between c4d or fbx exports to C4D)
  6. @zoomer Still no effect, when i've recently opened VWX2022 with C4D R21 and tried again... Let me check thread you've sent before
  7. I am not sure, but it is likely that I tested my VW file in an earlier VW than 2022 at that time. And can't remember that I had ever managed to run Exchange on Windows again.
  8. @VIRTUALENVIRONSapologies, did not get it 🙂 . Okay, so will try it now manually. thank you!
  9. Does this on the other side mean that R21 can still read/exchange with VW 2024's C4D exports ? And on another thread I can see you are using Windows, not Mac. As said, VW 2022 and C4D R21 worked, at least on Mac. If C4D too outdated for VW'S exports ... and that manifests on Windows a year earlier than on Mac !? If C4D R21 does no more work with VW 2022 for me, maybe it makes "sense" that R23 does also no more work with VW 2024 for you ?
  10. If it works then good stuff. FYI, the "Send to C4D only" command was based on the steps that I posted.
  11. @zoomer @VIRTUALENVIRONS Guys, thanks for the asnwers. Currently i use Vectorworks 2024 SP4 Windows 10 x64 Cinema4D R21, R23 @VIRTUALENVIRONS instead of this attempt i usually use fbx export to import it into c4d.
  12. Oh, yes. Reshape Tool. The call it "Modifizieren Werkzeug" on the german forum ....
  13. Do you mean the Reshape Tool? Yes, I use this most times as well for resizing/reshaping things.
  14. What versions of VW's and what version on C4D? Newer Versions of VW's won't export to past C4D R-21. This is a work around that should work. 1-Make a copy of your work. 2-Go to Modify>Convert to 3D polygons 3-Export DXF and choose DXF text from the drop down menu. Not Binary. 4-Import into C4D. NOTE: Objects that need to be separated need a separate "pen colour"
  15. Interesting Point. I am sure that I would definitely not be able to use a Wall Closure dialog that is more complex than the current ...
  16. I would have to test that all again. I don't even really know what Mode 1 or 3 can do or are meant for. What I do is usually to move or copy 1 or more things and I may resize (move an edge) of a single rectangle, extend a Wall or other PIO. For everything complex multi object editing I use the Modify Tool. Like editing multiple DTM source polygons at a time, or editing Slab boundaries and such. Maybe I just don't do any sophisticated things in VW 😉
  17. Today
  18. Yes, this data is stored in the document but the Latest Issue custom link formula is reading the data of the object.
  19. Is the only advantage of using the second mode over the third mode that if you want to move multiple selected objects by dragging them you don't run the risk of resizing them by accident? For me, I regularly want to resize multiple objects at the same time so the benefit of having the third mode permanently active outweighs the risk of resizing them by mistake when I actually want to move them since this never seems to happen to me anyway! But like I say, separating the Interactive + Transform modes in to two separate mode groups should affect any of these workflows, just make it a lot easier to toggle between interactive + transform quickly... The main takeaway so far is that not many people seem to be using Transform mode yet so perhaps my question doesn't really affect them...? If you @zoomer only currently use mode 2 + start using mode 4 as well then at least toggling between the two modes only involved a double U tap each time. For me using mode 3 + mode 4 means a single tap once + a triple tap the second time...
  20. I see. I guess I'd assumed the "most recent issue" data would be stored at file level rather than being contained in individual TBBs. Does VW have to look through every TBB in the file to work out what's the latest issue date? Anyway, I think it works fine just to include the drawing register sheet in each issue, because if it displays the latest issue no. and date for that sheet, it ought always to be correct (hopefully...time will tell).
  21. I do no more remember what the reasons was but at some early point of my VW career I decided that Selection Mode 3 is not good for me and since years, I only use Mode 2 ! I think it may have to do that the extra snap markers were disturbing, unreliable or not consistent between object types. And that it my lead to accidental geometry edits, when I usually just want to move or resize things in a basic way. And when I do need more complex edit options, I double click on the object and use Modify Tool anyway. But the last years, Selection Tool in Mode 2 did everything I expect from a Select/Move/Drag Tool. I never missed something.
  22. BTW, here was my initial thread about this issue :
  23. Usually I do a standard export to C4D from VW. So that I can save it to a proper location instead of having it in any arbitrary temp folder and AFAIR i was able to set C4D to its default "cm" units, which won't get lost after further exchanges. And usually I start cleaning/setting up at that point, like sorting my VW Classes in C4D's Layer list, assigning Materials to C4D Layers and such stuff. After the next changes in VW I start to use Exchange by "Sent to C4D". And I will have C4D already open and my initial C4D file loaded before I "Sent to C4D". What should happen is that, after VW sends, (C4D starts if not already open) in C4D a popup window opens with the usual options and it will refresh/load in new or changed geometries and new materials. That was how it always worked. And with my last attempt a few years ago it did work that way - on Mac. But C4D Exchange did no more work on Windows for me. What ever I tried, C4D did not react after I "Sent to C4D" from VW. So basically what you experience. But I asked on both DE and US VW Forums and it seemed that nobody else was experiencing that problem. My last C4D Version is R21 and I think it was with VW 2021 or VW 2022. Initially I thought my C4D version may be too old, in a way that VW's Cineengine sends a C4D file format that is too new and no more compatible with my old C4D. But Exchange still worked flawlessly and lossless on Mac though. I wanted to do my C4D Renderings on the faster PC at that time but the job got a nightmare because for each Exchange I had to take over the VW and C4D Model to Mac, do the Exchange, care about some path problems between Windows and Mac before I could go on working and rendering on my PC. So can you please give some more information about your hardware, operation System and VW and C4D versions ?
  24. Ha ha ok! This was why I thought I'd post a discussion about it rather than charging straight in with a Wishlist item. But if the mode groups were split between Interactive + Transform would that compromise the way you (or Pat) work at all? All the options would still be there, just rearranged slightly. If you are not using Transform mode at all it may even be an improvement for you as would reduce the amount of clicks when cycling through the modes. I have literally NEVER used the first two modes + have never accidentally resized an object when moving it! 🤷‍♂️ I do use Move by Points a lot though... Thanks for the feedback.
  25. I use the first two modes the most and rarely use the third. How can you not accidentally resize things all the time? It's true, we all use the tools differently. I reset the Tilde hotkey to let me scroll through the options. Been doing that for so many years, don't even think about it anymore. Don't you dare suggest they kill those modes... I already lost screen plane amd I'm still angry about it 😂
  26. I should add this is a freelance position that will require at least 20 - 40 hours per week. You will need your own VW 2024 license and ideally have project sharing experience.
  27. - ohh, okay got it, this means that this linked text could be reading data from other TBBs, which is currently not possible. You can set up a project data field for this that you will have to manually update, but then the data will be visible in all TBBs.
  1. Load more activity