All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Mik

OpenGL died

BSeigel, Thanks for the quick reply and pointers. I tried your steps above and turned up nothing out of bounds. I edited my post just as you had replied: So the display problem appears to be consistent: OpenGL is blank in the quadrant from Front to Left views, funky on Back and Right views, looks accurate in top and bottom views. If I rotate, it turns blank when I get around the front and left sides. Wireframe disappears in that Front to Left quadrant as well but when it is visible in other views, it looks accurate as opposed to missing stuff like OpenGL. If I close VW and load up, the last view it was in (right isometric) comes up in wireframe and switching to OpenGL is good. But its flaky. As I see proper OpenGL in all selected views, I cannot use the CTL-mouse function to drag the view around. The cursor does not change to the arrows when buttons are pressed, nothing moves. And when I turn on another layer, the OpenGL goes bonkers again.
  3. Alan Woodwell

Class filters

Can i create a filter without adding tags? Can i also edit a current filter and add items to it and remove some. Can i do this with and without adding tags to classes? I would like to be able to select random classes and create a filter from the selected classes. May have answered this by viewing the Layering and class filtering from University VW tutorials. (Only with tags) Would Love to be able to just select a few classes and make a filter from them. Regards
  4. Hello Everybody, I received a request for an adjustable swivel cheeseborough, so I created a marionette object that I would like to share with you all, enjoy! If you would like to add it to any of your files you can just copy and paste the object or import the "Cheeseborough Marionette" folder from the Resource Manager. Swivel Cheeseborough.vwx
  5. BSeigel

OpenGL died

Hello Mik, There a few possible issues here. First, check to make sure that your graphics drivers are up to date and ensure that Vectorworks is using the graphics card as opposed to integrated graphics (may not be an option on your Xeon processor). Typically, this sort of behavior indicates that there is an object very far away from the origin in the drawing. A good way to check for this is the following: 1. Deselect all objects and Turn on all classes and layers 2. Set class and layer options to show snap modify others 3. Go to View>Zoom>Fit to Objects 4. If you get zoomed out very very far, you have objects a great distance from the user origin. If this happens, proceed to the next step 5. Draw a marquee selection around the objects you want to keep in your project, in your case, the whole house and any neighboring objects 6. Go to Edit>Invert Selection 7. See if any distant objects become selected, check if they are important, and delete them Hopefully this can resolve your issue, feel free to report back with any questions
  6. Today
  7. rseybert

Create line-type symbol?

Thanks @markdd, I kinda figured the blue symbol was going to be the best solution, just thought I throw the question out there to see if anyone has a method that works for them. I'm going to look into the Custom Tool/Attribute command... and I'm sure it'll open up a new rabbit hole for me to climb down. Thanks again.
  8. Mik

OpenGL died

Anyone seen OpenGL do something like this before? (Should be seeing a finished house exterior with walls, windows, etc. all around.) My system specs: NVIDIA® Quadro® P4000 (8 GB GDDR5, 4 x Displayport 1.4) Intel® Xeon® W-2133 Processor (3.6 GHz, up to 3.9 GHz w/Turbo Boost, 8.25 MB cache, 6 core) 32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR4-2666 ECC Memory Windows 10 - current VW2019 SP 5.3 I've already reboot, reloaded, etc. Rotating the thing sometimes leaves the viewing field completely blank depending on where you stop. Front & left views are blank. Back & right views are like the above. Top & bottom look correct. Wireframe looks like everything is in place. This model has slowed down quite a bit as I have been adding detailing. But this is only about a 5000sf house. Is my hardware adequate? (Spec'd to VW website "high-end" recommendations.) Anyone else seen symptoms like this?
  9. zoomer

Vectorworks is REALLY SLOW lately!

AMD 5500/5700 (without XT) ?
  10. Mik

Vectorworks is REALLY SLOW lately!

Well this is alarming, confounding, and angering all at once! The hardware recommendations on VW site say a lot about needing a powerful graphics card - load up on VRAM: https://www.vectorworks.net/sysreq And their tested hardware page has a long list of NVIDIA QUADRO cards: https://www.vectorworks.net/support/quality-tested-hardware This is precisely why I purchased an expensive workstation last year with: NVIDIA® Quadro® P4000 (8 GB GDDR5, 4 x Displayport 1.4) Intel® Xeon® W-2133 Processor (3.6 GHz, up to 3.9 GHz w/Turbo Boost, 8.25 MB cache, 6 core) 32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR4-2666 ECC Memory In JimW's post, not only does he say NVIDIA QUADROS tend to have problems with Vectorworks but he also says, "(As a general rule and as of the writing of this article, you should not nomrally need to spend more than $150 on a video card to use with Vectorworks.)" What?! Can you find a video card for $150 that has Vectorworks' recommended minimum VRAM and OpenGL2.1 compatibility? His post was edited January 2017. If it is/was valid information, I wish I would have seen it before I purchased my system last year. I think JimW has a long history with Vectorworks so I don't think his post can be dismissed as uninformed. I hope he is listening/watching this. It is an old thread but I do not understand the conflict between his post and Vectorworks' information on their website. I happen to be having a SLOW problem right now myself. I think I will start a new thread for it.
  11. Not that I've noticed, but I'll keep an eye out for it now....!
  12. Rick Berge

Ability to map graphic to a swept path is gone in VW 2020

As a workaround, it looks like it will still take the fill (and/or texture) from the class. It's only the Attribute Palette getting in the way. SP2 beta that I tried seems fixed with the Can Top example.
  13. A year ago I posted a request for some way of locking a face once it has been selected using Automatic Selection. Well. It seems to have been implemented in 2020. When you have a face highlighted by the Automatic selector and before you do your first CLICK with whatever tool you are about to use, just type "cmd\" and the selected face will be held as a Working Plane. Hurrah! Many thanks!
  14. Hello, In VW 2020 I'm have problems with the By Class settings turning themselves off in the Attributes palette. I usually work with all attributes set to By Class as my default. For whatever reason, I've had to reset things back to By Class many times since I started using VW2020. Has anyone else seen this issue? Thanks, Kevin
  15. JuanP

Revert back to earlier service pack

@Ride You can revert to a previous SP version by running the Vectorworks updater. Go to Applications>Vectorworks 2019>Vectorworks Updater 2019 > Click on Advanced Options + Option Key down> Change Version then choose the version that you would like to revert. Before going into this direction, try the Repair option to see if that helps.
  16. markdd

Create line-type symbol?

Vectorworks doesn't have exactly what you want, however, you could great various Symbols that insert themselves as Groups (Blue Symbol Option) You can specify the class that they insert into and all the various class attributes including text styles etc will be brought into the document with the symbol. If you save just one object (Like a Centerline) then it imports as just a single object (no need to ungroup) and then you can reshape it to suit whatever project you are working on. Just a different approach without any more steps needed (I think......?!) You should also look into the Custom Tool/Attribute command in the Tools menu which I find really useful for this kind of thing. Hope that's helpful Mark
  17. mjm

Extrude VW2019 vs. VW 2020

Good to know. Can't wait for the fix!
  18. Rick Berge

Extrude VW2019 vs. VW 2020

As a workaround, it looks like it will still take the fill from the class. It's only the Attribute Palette getting in the way.
  19. John Medland MAIBC

Open GL striped zig zag visual glitch - NVIDIA graphic card settings

@zoeageorg glad it helped. Have to thank you as well as your "wood planking" question lead me to some wood siding textures I've been looking for for a long time. Cheers.
  20. rseybert

Create line-type symbol?

Hi All, I'm a recent AutoCAD to VW convert looking to replicate some of the functionality that came with AutoCAD. Most of them I've been able to part with but one of the ones I cannot seem to find a better way of doing is a dynamic line block. This would allow me to create a polyline with livetype and layer information and save it as a dynamic block. When I dragged it from the tool palette it would start the polyline command. Once I finished the command, the polyline would have all the appropriate attributes that it should. We commonly used this feature with items we always wanted to the same such as Centerlines or object outlines. Is there any way to replicate this in Vectorworks? Thanks in advance.
  21. Paul Chapman

Site Model Display Units

YES please, That would be awesome. it was there for a little while, I cant quite recall when. I think 2019 first release, but disappeared with a Service pack perhaps.
  22. I upgraded VW2019 to SP5.3 recently, and now the program hangs a lot. It doesn't completely crash, but I get the spinning wheel repeatedly, and things slow to such a crawl it might as well have crashed. Waiting it out until it catches up to last couple of inputs takes too long - better to just force quit, lose the work and try again. Can someone tell me how to revert back to 5.2, or even 5.1. This didn't happen with those service packs. Are there any more updates coming for 2019? Or is this as good as it gets (which isn't good). Thanks VW 2019 sp5.3 Macbook Pro mid-2015 Mojave
  23. JuanP

Double images created when exporting

any chance you can send us the file via DM for testing?
  24. @ericjhberg message received. these are the things at the top of our list.
  25. parlourtrick

Double images created when exporting

A new problem has surfaced with my Vectorworks 2020 ... when I try to export or publish Saved Views I get double images of my models. The model appears to render, but then a duplicate renders over it at lower in the frame. It looks like it's at a slightly different angle as well. There are no created cameras in the file, these are strictly saved views in the Navigator. Anyone else having this issue? (Other issues, such as not being able to quit and VWX not saving my preferences have been solved in 2020 so far). Mac OS 10.14.16 iMac Pro 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W 32GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB VWX Fundamentals & Spotlight 2020, SP1
  26. E|FA

Landmark and site modeling

I'm still on 2019, and am looking forward to using the added/improved hardscape tool once I update. Any chance of getting the retaining wall added to Architect in a 2020 SP? Almost every project I work on has retaining walls. I don't understand the logic of restricting this particular site modifier to VW Landmark users.
  27. @Eric Gilbey, PLA @Vladislav Stanev @Tony Kostreski We need better control of our DWG export process from VW. In order to coordinate with almost everyone, we still rely on this process and unfortunately, it is an extremely time consuming process...both in Vectorworks and in AutoCAD to deliver a product that is acceptable. I have voiced several of these concerns in various topics/threads/forums before to no avail, so I am trying one last time! One thing in particular I am noticing now is that Hardscape objects become AutoCAD blocks, regardless of the export settings! This is BAD...very BAD. We need the ability to have clean, simple, traditional AutoCAD files with minimal time spent exploding and cleaning them up. Block objects are relatively useless to a consultant, who will completely disregard files we send if they have to spend too much time on them. Next. Even if I go through the process of EXPLODING the hardscape blocks in AutoCAD myself, the result is NINE (9) overlapping coincident objects! WHAT?!? This is horrendous! Even if I go through the OVERKILL command in AutoCAD to try and eliminate coincident objects, it will only delete (5) of the (9) overlapping polylines, leaving me with (4) redundant shapes and a pissed of consultant! I am sure these are the result of the SLAB sub-components being exported, but we need a way to ignore that and get simple 2D linework to export. One of the BIG challenges we now face with VW is what is the BEST hybrid geometry to use for exterior hardscape/paving/slabs? For a long time we used floors because they were simple and didn't have any of the issues mentioned above. Hardscapes, although they have made simple strides recently, have always had problems. Additionally they allowed us to manipulate 3D textures on the surface independently, very easily. Obviously, for complex grading scenarios they were ineffective, but for simple "flat world" 3D models, they were perfect...until 2019. VW destroyed FLOORS and their simplicity in 2019 and we have been forced to using Hardscapes. The problem, in addition to the aforementioned export problems, are Hardscape Styles SUCK - They don't act like other styles where, when edited from a central location (the Resource Manager), they should update globally...they don't. CANNOT manipulate 3D texture direction - Think of pavers. If you want to have a varied direction for paver patterns, perhaps following the longest edge or two linear patterns running perpindicular to one another, you cannot do it. It is impossible! 3D Textures sometimes just don't work. Matching properties to ones that do, recreating, editing styles or slab styles all fail to make textures even appear (wireframe) on hardscapes on occassion. I haven't been able to really dive into this specific problem because it happens at inopportune times Slab Styles will automatically switch or break from time to time and have to be manually reset on each object or use the match properties...this should be easily controlled By Style. I know you are making strides in the Hardscape object in VW2020 and I haven't had the chance to really test them yet, but I'm fairly certain that none of these issues have been resolved yet! THIS IS HUGE FOR US! Please find a way to fix these issues ASAP! We need a "Hardscape" tool and workflow that doesn't compromise our workflow...in any way, let alone in 4 or 5 different ways.
  1. Load more activity

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.