All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. If the 3D object has 'history' one option is to edit the 2D shape it was created from (with the Reshape Tool as you describe). So for example if you drew the frame as a 2D shape initially then extruded it outwards, you could double-click on the Extrude to get back to the original 2D shape to edit it. Or if it is a Generic Solid I would just use the Split Tool in the 2nd mode to cut it in half, move one half apart to make it wider, then use Push/Pull to join the top + bots rails back together then use Add Solids to make them a single object again. Or you can Push/Pull the outer edge of the frame whatever distance you need then Push/Pull the inner edge the same distance going in the same direction. Yes use the Add Solids command (right-click object context menu or Model menu).
  3. Thanks for the reply. Any further help is greatly appreciated as I’m a woodworker by trade so this takes some learning! I managed it in Sketchup, but VW is so much easier to produce 2D plans.
  4. You can make a Section-Elevation Line that looks like that but it will only be linked to one Viewport so will display the same drawing number in both markers: To have it auto-coordinate you would need to have two separate Section-Elevation Lines drawn on top of each other:
  5. Yes this file just has the two textures mentioned many years ago. You can import the textures to your model to try them out.
  6. I have long thought this too. I've been using Smart Options Display instead for Reshape Tool + Move by Points as it's quicker than cycling through all the modes using the U key, especially since it got a bit snappier in VW2024 (although perhaps I imagined that...). But I kind of feel the Selection Tool is a special case. Modes 3 + 4 should be in their own mode group with holding down the Option key activating the opposite one like the Eyedropper Tool, or mode 4 should be in a mode of its own like Tobi says. The other tools I use all of the modes more or less equally whereas the Selection Tool feels like it has redundant modes that could be relegated somewhere else.
  7. Today
  8. Lot's to learn in this program. One thing that is not clear is that you can have more than one profile on EAP. That is why the next button is there to select the path. You could make a profile out of several separated profiles (don't group). Select all the curves and use the next button to select the path. After that, you can use the edit function to change each profile. That way you can more or less set it up how you will change your windows profiles. Again, not an architect, so my terminology is off. I can make a little video tomorrow if you don't work it out on your own.
  9. Hi Team! New poster, longtime lurker. I've primarily been a 2D VW user (beginning in 2019) and have since worked mostly in V2022 and, most recently, finally caved and gone with V2024 as I'm diving a bit more into modeling - I'm also looking forward to the auto-coordination between markers, sheets, and viewports you get rather than manually managing all of that as you draw. With that backstory, I've really been wrestling with making section markers on my drawings *feel* right. I come from a scenic design background and currently work in film and TV - so we have a fairly specific way of laying down section markers. I've been able to get the actual section bubbles to the right place in terms of size and typography - but their alignment and interaction with other markers is where I'm stumped. Apologies if this is a rehash of an older topic - I've done my best to dig through old posts and scrape the internet for answers - not to mention some significant banging of my head against the proverbial wall. It seems like most folks just use a more "architectural" approach to section markers and keep it one bubble per line. So - to the meat - image 1 is how I normally like to (manually) layout my section markers in a 2D file. Image 2 is as good as I've been able to get using the automagic section markers in 2024. I'd love to find a way to make the "automated" markers perform a bit more like my manual layout - and without so much additional fine tuning after to try a maneuver the symbol bubble position, line length, and jogs to feel correct. Anyone else running into this issue or found a workaround?
  10. I have only ever used the second mode, so I don't even know if I should try the 3rd mode. And I haven't looked at the new fourth mode yet. I think a better Wishlist request would be a way to toggle backwards between the UIO[] toggle modes throughout the interface. This would give you a quick way to get between 3rd & 4th modes. Maybe a Shift-U to toggle backwards? I've just been spending a lot of time jumping between 2 of the 7 Reshape tool modes, and going backwards would save time and irritation.
  11. At some point, VW started to refuse to render these Rendermall plants when they are on the other side of some glazing. Well, it'll render them while I'm flying around but not when I'm stationary, nor in a static viewport. All I get is the trunks, no foliage. This is all using Shaded mode. Any clues? Screen Recording 2024-03-28 at 19.11.21.mov
  12. Hi. Yes it was a profile extruded along a path. As a novice I’ll read about EAP in more detail.
  13. https://fitplot.it/vwplugins/mouldings.html
  14. While this functionality would all be very welcome, in the interim of having to wait a long time for it — I would recommend buying the third-party plug-in Mouldings. It is very flexible (also includes gutter profiles) and simplifies the process of manually creating EAPs. https://fitplot.it/vwplugins/mouldings.html#latest
  15. It would be great for those of us who are builders as well as designers. Pick a moulding profile, and trace around the walls or have it auto trace. Think baseboard, chair rail, crown, etc. By default, baseboard would snap to walls and flooring Chair Rail to walls at pre-determined elevation or be able to edit elevation Crown moulding snap to ceiling elevation and walls. Of course, all editable for placement. This would be a great time saver. Currently we select the moulding profile, use EAP, edit the placement of the trim relative to the walls and such, offset as there are using the center of the moulding. Have the trim deduct footage around doors or openings to report correctly for takeoffs. Window and door trim: Pick a profile and it will automatically apply the selected trim around the windows or doors. Be able to select by edge of opening what trim one wants. Sides, Top, Bottom taoist
  16. Hi, I think best would be to separate the "Transform Mode" from the U-Key-Modes and offer a new key to activate "Transform Mode". … and I never used 1st and 2nd mode. Greetings and Happy Easter Tobi
  17. Nevermind. I had a conflict with some stake objects that I was using as a site modifier. Duh.
  18. Thanks I’ll give that a go. I was expecting a dialogue box to map the fixtures as per capture / wyg / depense.
  19. Hi All, So I've used this modifier before and pretty sure I am familiar with how to use it but I am running into an issue. I create the modifier, set the elevation of the pad, send to surface and elevate the retaining edge and then it creates this column of terrain that shoots up into the sky. Shouldn't it be carving out the site model? I'm trying to set a pool in this rectangle. I attached a screen shot. You can see the modifier pad below grade and the retaining edge at grade. And then the site model just shooting up into the sky. Thanks.
  20. Does anyone actually use 'Disabled Interactive Scaling Mode' or 'Single Object Interactive Scaling Mode' for the Selection Tool? Up until Update 4 I never strayed from the third mode ('Unrestricted Interactive Scaling Mode') so it was never an issue for me: I just completely ignored the first two modes. But now we have the wonderful fourth mode - 'Transform Mode' - I am regularly toggling between the third + fourth modes. Or rather, toggling between the third + fourth modes via the redundant first + second modes... What I would really like to be doing is toggling back + forth between 'Unrestricted Interactive Scaling Mode' + 'Transform Mode' with a single click. I was going to post a Wish about this but thought I'd better check first: does anyone actually use the first two modes or could they happily be relegated somewhere else...? Another option might be to hold down the Option key to activate the fourth mode temporarily... I would like to move between the 3rd + 4th modes far more quickly + easily than is currently the case.
  21. I'm still seeing this behavior in vw 2024. Wondering if anyone has any other thoughts or fixes?
  22. @Andy Broomell has written up a good tutorial for creating a custom Title Block Border in Vw2024. It might help you out with creating one from scratch. https://www.andybroomell.com/vectorworks-title-block-tutorial
  23. I really was hoping he would have covered creating a custom from scratch title block rather than selecting one that's close-ish to a desired look, then bastardizing the layout to steal the pieces you need. Is that my only option to creating a completely custom layout? I understand that it's outdated, but the practice in the first vectorworks tutorial I shared was exactly what I was looking for.
  24. Hello @Dendecko, Please see if your cloud services app is up to date. To do that you can go to Cloud drop down in the top of the screen and click on About... There it should tell you if your Cloud services app is up to date or not. If you will need to update it - make sure to do that and when its done, please restart Vectorworks. If you will be running into further problems you can launch the Updater tool to repair your Vectorworks, that might sometimes fix it. To do that you can go to the location where Vectorworks is installed and find the exe file for Vectorworks 2024 Updater. Launch it and update if required. After its done please select Advanced Options and choose the Repair command. See if this will fix the problem for you!
  25. I'm attempting to test out the AI visualizer, when I select the menu option under Model/AI Visualizer nothing happens. The application seems to do nothing and continue to run as normal. Anyone had success so far?
  1. Load more activity