All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. @JustinVH Thank you, I will try this
  3. Yep, switching between apps is a trigger for sure. I'm seeing that having no other applications open in the background seems to be helping. I have a 3D modeler that if launched, VW will crash the system on launch, especially of I switch back-and-forth. It also is more frequent if I'm working in 3D in VW.
  4. Changing user interfaces like this not only disrupts daily operations for presumably 10’s of thousands of people, but it also forces all training materials such as websites, videos, and books to be updated for a trivial reason. The net impact is staggering for no gain. I guess it keeps the training division happily employed…
  5. The By Style/Instance settings are controlled by the style and cannot be changed at the instance level. To change them, locate and right-click on the style in the Resource Manager and choose the "Edit" content menu command. You should see a very similar dialog for the style. You can toggle the style "arrow" icon buttons between By Style and By Instance. Once you change a setting to By Instance (and click OK to save the style's settings), the style will no longer control them and you can go back and edit the instance in the document and set it as you like. Note: When the By Style toggle buttons contain an icon that looks like an open book, that parameter is controlled by the catalog and cannot be changed (other than by choosing another item from the catalog).
  6. Today
  7. @Matt Panzer I'm not sure how to do this. Everything is set to By Style but there doesn't seem to be a way to change that to By Instance.
  8. @Iainy1961You will have to go into the Edit 2D Component of the symbol and redraw the 2D geometry in order to get the look you desire. To do this follow these steps: -To access edit window, right click on the symbol in the RM and choose Edit 2D Component to enter the 2D Top/Plan geometry. -Delete the current 2D geometry. -Redraw your desired geometry and assign classes as appropriate. A good trick to draw this view can be achieved using the cardinal direction 2D geometry that is used for Architect symbols but not supported for Spotlight. To do this trick do the following: -Right click on the symbol in the RM and choose Edit 3D Component to enter the 3D Top/Plan geometry. -In the Component Edit Palette choose Front from the Edit Dropdown. -With nothing selected, right click in empty space and choose the Generate 2D from 3D Component command, and choose Hidden Line. -The program will draw the view in 2D in a group. -Copy or Cmd/Ctrl X to get the geometry on your clipboard. -Return to the 2D Component and paste the group into the 2D, from there edit the line work as you see fit, sometimes the curves can be created as lots of tiny facets so you may want to clean up that line work.
  9. Hi, Just saw this. Don't know if this is what you wanted. Wasn't sure about Semi-parametric. file enclosed. AV_2.vwx
  10. Cable Types.mp4 @Conrad Preen I think the video demonstrates the issue clearly. If you need a file as well let me know, but it happens on all of our files. It seems that I was wrong about cable types changing when a device moves. However, the second clip shows that the cable type font can change. Cable Types 2.mp4 Cable Types 3.mp4
  11. I seem to spend a lot of time asking pretty simple questions that I just can't figure out from the help menus. Here's another one, I want the fixture to look like this when its on a truss in a 2D view. How can I make that happen? Thanks, Iain
  12. Dear vectorworks please stop making upgrades that AREN'T UPGRADES ! 2024 is a massive workflow disaster and disruption. You've moved all the menus, NOT made them customizable, AND changed the icons? Does anyone who actually drafts for a living have any input on these changes? Because these are unnecessary and unnecessary. seriously - please make this horrible top menu customizable - this is bad for workflow, and has cost me so much time and added some serious frustration to an already hectic workload. For example - saved views being all the way to the left at the top does me no good - i like it in the middle - i should be able to move this to where it works best. Snapping at the top? why ? when i'm drawing it's more helpful to have it at the bottom, or again, customizable ! There was no logical reason to make these things static and in completely different locations than they were in the previous version to me, nothing here is an upgrade. What i want in an upgrade is a program that runs better, faster, exports and imports smoother, where the tools become more sensitive and useful, where i can group layers, have assignable attributes to symbols so i can see a single symbol in different line weights and styles . . . i do not care about the look i do not care about the icon design i DO care about how the above has messed up my workflow and costed me time . . . which means money. Not a fan . . . -Erica
  13. @Domas I followed your instructions, but I don't see my folder LX or Bits. I did refresh the RM.
  14. In VW2024, Unified View is on by default and you have to dig relatively deeply in Document Preferences:Legacy 2D pane to turnout off. In earlier versions Unified View was in the View menu.
  15. Thanks! I am viewing a vwx file on a Windows machine and forgot how to fix this.
  16. This seems like a great opportunity for a Marionette Object??
  17. It would be nice to have a Register, Grill, Diffuser Tool. Ideally this tool would work vertically in walls, and horizontally at the ceiling / floor plane. The coding doesn't seem difficult, especially since louvers are baked into the window tool. I am able to make a supply air register using the window tool. Is there a way to make vertical louvers semi-parametrically? Does anybody have any interesting workarounds? It would be good to create a version like this...
  18. hm, I don't think it is that difficult if printing is not directly done from VWX (which would of couse be the luxury thing). The only thing I need is a one column worksheet that automatically creates the row names, and another one that creates the seat numbers from the seating symbols and their tags. Example: If I have a 6 rows and 4 seats in each row I need something like first worksheet Row 1 Row 2 Row 4 Row 5 Row 6 second worksheet seat 1 seat 2 seat 3 seat 4 printing could then be done in an external program.
  19. If you are using Send to Vision, it is likely using the MVR file format in the backend. I'd have to look at the code, but either Vision doesn't support focus points with MVR or there is bug in Vision causing it not to work. One workaround could be to use the ESC file format to export your lighting devices. You can also use ESC for your geometry, but the geometry will look better in Vision if you use MVR.
  20. Hello! Please make sure to update your Vectorworks 2024 to Update 4.1. There was a recognised problem that might have been related with OS updates. With Vectorworks 2024 Update 4.1 this should be fixed. Please contact your local technical support team through cuctomers.vectorworks.net if the problem is still there.
  21. I can't get my instrument to show in the focused positon in vectorworks to Vision. I've send to vision from the file drop down menu. In the user manual: A conventional lighting device is a non-moving lighting device. If the conventional lighting devices are focused in Vectorworks prior to import, they are automatically focused in Vision. Otherwise, these lights need to be manually adjusted so they point to the desired location. Everyhting is focused in vectoworks what i am doing wrong ? Thanks JF
  22. Thanks, only the files created at source with vectorworks 2020 that we move to 2023 we had the uses. Till now no one was able to answer me on this matter. I had redo the design in 2023 version.
  23. Hello @Iainy1961, First you will have to create a favourites file. To do so you can open an empty file and import all of your needed resources into it and then in the resource manager you can click on the settings drop down and add that file as a favourite file as shown in the screenshot: When you will have a favourite file you can select your resource and export it into the favourite file as shown in the screenshots below to keep it up to date: You might need to give it a refresh after you export a resource to your favourites for it to be visible in the resource manager. To do that you can right click on Favourites and click Refresh as in the screenshot below: Note: If you will add the favourites file the way showed in this example it will create a shortcut for Vectorworks to reach the file in the location where you will save it in the first place. Make sure to keep it in a safe location as if you will delete the file we don't have a way to recover it. Edit: For more information you can watch the Vectorworks University video below: https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/overview/view.php?id=5542
  24. Thanks for your detailed answer. The Hardscapes are properly close. We uses all vectorworks materials in the design.
  25. I have created some symbols and I want to move them to my favourites file. I thought I could just drag that folder but apparently not. I tried export, move but I have failed miserably.What I want to do is put these symbols into my favourite folder. Thanks, Iain
  1. Load more activity