All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Matt Panzer

VW2020 Detail Levels

Hi @genie, Yes. These option have become obsolete. Most of what they controlled was how the object looked in 3D and choosing an option set the look of the object for all drawings at any detail level. Now you have more control over what the 3D object looks like in all detail levels. At the bottom of the 3D Visualization pane for the Door or Window Settings dialogs, you will find these "3D Detail Levels" settings.
  3. Put your flat 2d shape in side a symbol, and then in the settings dialogue of the structural member tool, Click the dropdown and choose "Custom" and then pick your UC Symbol. There was an issue with UCs not showing in the tool, but I believe in 2020 they're in there.
  4. Today
  5. herbieherb

Script to work on visible layers only?

The ForEachObjectInLayer() runs a function on each object. You can choose to perform the action only on selected objects, active layer, visible layer, snappable layer etc. See the function appendix.
  6. Simon Baxter

Camera linked to viewport

Hello Been using VW for a while and just downloaded 2020. When I create a viewport plan or elevation the camera is shown. How do I remove this link as I don't want to see the camera position on Plans. (this did not happen before the download) The camera is for a 3D render on another layer so needs to remain. Thanks Simon
  7. @drelARCH I couldn't replicate your issue, chances are is file specific. Any chance you can send us your file via private message for testing?
  8. How do I "pull out the profiles and use them as Customs" please? We are struggling because we need to add UC203x203x86 and can't figure out how to add a custom shape!
  9. Does anyone know why my drawing isn't showing some of the class attributes referenced from the source drawing? For instance, I've adjusted opacity and colour for paving but the adjustment won't show in my drawing no matter how many times I update the reference.
  10. Yes, in haste - use the Title Block Border tool to create the title block style you want and then place an instance on each sheet layer. Then use the Title Block Border Settings button to update the project and sheet data. You can link the sheet number and the sheet title directly to the title block. If you have Vectorworks 2020, there is a template specifically for garden designers. Looking your signature though, I see you are on 2017, in which case you'll be using the Sheet Border tool to create your sheet border, and then within that use the Title Block button to select a title block symbol. Search Vectorworks Help for Title Block for more information. For the individual Viewports, insert a Drawing Label into the annotation space. This will display the scale of the viewport and the drawing title that you've used for the viewport. Good luck.
  11. Inspectorjack

Terrain Model Datum?

IMO this is one of the main limitations of the Story setup. The software should do the hard parts of the math for you via the Story setup diaglog. Thereby if as often is the case you change house elevation during to dig for some reason you can simply make 1 edit that cascades the changes through the model. I posed this question in one of the model set threads. I try to set my 1st floor Z to anticipated or surveyor designated ELV. Then I do the math for all the layers or stories. For simplicity the Story setup dialog should allow that method and alternatively allow setting Z to zero but/AND allow you to input a "0" House Z = DTM 604.67 as an example. Further the dialog should maybe allow you to point to the reference DTM file. Doing it that way might take some of the confusion out.
  12. drelARCH

2020 Architect Open GL Rendering ...

Yes, I am having myself some issues with open GL...if I uncheck 'Use Colors' in Render Settings most time it will not take effect after VP update. It seem to me that it behave randomly... Please FIX it soon! Pavol
  13. Changing Keynote Display from dotted one to not dotted crash whole application. I would like to use/convert dotted Keynote legend (from 2019 vw file) to new not dotted one but it is crashing software. Known bug? Pavol
  14. I'm interested in people's experiences implementing a CDE on Dropbox or similar with a manual folder/filing system. As opposed to dedicated CDE systems. I'm setting up a CDE on Dropbox for a medium sized project and slowly getting my head around the practicalities of manual drawing issue procedures and filing, compliant with BS1192/ISO19650. In the past we've typically used a "Current Issue" folder for latest drawings and generally a "Superseded" for everything else. ISO19650 on the other hand includes: Work in Progress - drawings/data in progress, accessible only to relevant task team/discipline. Shared Folder - verified drawings/data suitable for sharing with other design team members or approved for sharing with the client. Published - co-ordinated drawings/data suitable for use by the wider project team. Archive - for inactive or superseded material from the Published area, in addition to the final signed-off "Construction Record". This works well for data integrity processes but how do we make it straightforward for somebody just looking for the latest drawings? Why have a Work in Progress area on the CDE for each task team/discipline if that area is only accessible by that task team/discipline? How do you deal with file/folder names and revision and suitability (status) codes when using a manual folder process on the likes of Dropbox, which doesn't have the metadata features of a dedicated CDE system?
  15. lisagravy

GIS Stake

This is pretty similar to what I did, but I shortened a step... which may be incorrect but thought I'd share just incase! At step 6 - Tools > Origin > User Origin - even after I geolocated, the top of the prompt box for this tells me "the user origin is co-incident (the same as) the internal origin". So if you have this as well, it might save you a click 😂
  16. lisagravy

GIS Stake

Thanks so much for your investigation on this @Tamsin Slatter - it's massively appreciated, and the results will make a huge difference in our ability to integrate our current VW CAD work into a GIS system! I've undertaken similar testing and it's worked really well. One of the interesting parts of this in particular for me is that IF aligning the User Origin in metres maintains accurate X, Y positioning within a geolocated file... by implication then once this is set up, we could easily move GIS stakes etc and other objects in Eastings and Northings also by utilising the X,Y position in metres, and still be able to accurately geo-reference and extract the lat/long values if we wanted to - which is a HUGE development. Really exciting stuff! Also delighted to hear about the integration of this feature in SP2! Thanks Engineering team!
  17. Tamsin Slatter

GIS Stake

In haste - rushing to another meeting - will do - just tried to upload examples, but it failed - will investigate later!
  18. That did the trick, thanks Pat. That really should be a setting inside Vectorworks. Very strange.
  19. RussU

GIS Stake

@Tamsin Slatterthanks for your work on this, absolutley huge learning curve, but very interesting indeed. As a big ask, are you able to post a sample file where you've got this set-up correct? I'd be very interested in pulling VW into my GIS workflow. At the moment when I've done drone surveys and I have either a point cloud, or a mesh, I generally import it in at a x/y 0,0 Local co-ordinate system (otherwise it's miles away from the internal origin, with all the usual issues) So I would really like to be able to import these to a globally correct, geo-refenced layer. Thanks again for your brilliant description. I'm trying this out now!
  20. Tamsin Slatter

GIS Stake

Morning all. I have had a chat with our engineer and done some more testing myself. For the British National Grid, if you align the User Origin, with the Easting and Northing Origin within the Geographic Coordinate System (EPSG code 27700 - the default in the UK templates), CAD drawing within that coordinate system will have the correct X and Y coordinates on export to DWG. So, if you are sending stuff back to someone who has no concept of GIS systems and their software does not use it, this will be fine. The issue currently, within SP1, is that there is not easy way to align the User Origin with the Geographic Coordinate System, because you can't see it and there is nothing to snap to. But there is a way to do it (details below). Even better though, from SP2, there WILL be a way to do this within the Tools > Origin > User Origin command (thank you engineering team!) Here's how to do this in SP1: Open a UK template - this will already have the default EPSG 27700 code to set the geographic coordinate system to British National Grid. Set the Document Units to Meters, with an appropriate precision. Import your DWG using the Document Contains Georeferenced Geometry option on the import dialog. This will import the DWG into the geographic coordinate system. Also import any Shapefiles if you are using those. Use the Geolocate tool to move the INTERNAL origin close to your geometry (just click on the drawing). This will not change any coordinates with in the Easting and Northing coordinates - it simply ensures that the geometry is close to the internal origin and avoids the traditional problems with any CAD system of placing a huge calculation burden on the system with every move of the mouse. At this point, the User Coordinate System (User Origin) and the rulers will not show anything relevant. Don't panic! Choose Tools > Origin > User Origin and choose the option to set it by next click. Click on the Internal Origin, to align it with the Internal Origin. (Again, don't panic - this is temporary!) Use the Stake tool and place a Stake on the Internal Origin (and User Origin). Set it to display Coordinate Point (E,N) in Meters with full precision. Make a note of the E and N numbers from the Stake (screenshot, write it down, or ungroup it to get the text - whichever method you prefer). Now change the X and Y coordinates of the Stake to match the E and N, but with a negative. For example: If E is 10000 and N is 5000, set X to -10000 and Y to -5000. This will move the stake to the origin of the Geographic Coordinate System, and give you a valuable snap point. The Stake should still be selected, so click Fit to Objects to find it. Now run Tools > Origin > Internal Origin again and choose again the option to set it by next click. Click on the Insertion point of the Stake. The User Origin is now aligned with the Geographic Coordinate System. The rulers will show relevant values. Using the above method, I was then able to draw new stuff over my DWG, and then export the drawing back to DWG. I then imported it into a blank file WITHOUT using the Document Contains Georeferenced Geometry option, and all was good. The coordinates of the site matched, and the size and position of my new stuff also matched. I do hope this helps clear up confusion and doesn't add to it!
  21. herbieherb

Image prop does not obscure hidden lines

Hiddenline ignores all textures. Therefore it cannot render imageprops. As a workaround you can put a second viewport over it in which you render only Adam with transparent background.
  22. Just in case this post has gone unnoticed, I'll bump it a couple of times.
  23. SHODGE

DETAIL FREELANCE DRAFTER

Providing 30-40 PDF landscape details our firm needs drawn and catalogued in a VWX file. (Planting, Hardscape, drainage, irrigation, etc) shodge@fourpinesinc.com
  24. Are you using sheet layers for your drawings? Titleblocks I think are best placed directly on sheet layers. One titleblock for each sheet so each titleblock can have sheet data particular to the drawing it’s on. Your design layers are presented to the sheets via sheet layer viewports. You can’t automatically link viewport info to sheet data. I.e. scales noted in your titleblock border don’t read vp scales- you have to edit the TB manually. You can however use auto drawing configuration so that the drawing numbers and sheet titles in your titleblocks are the same as your sheet layers.
  25. I am a garden designer and use different layers for the differing components: Planting plan, Hard landscaping, Site Plan etc etc. I set the title block up for the document but get into trouble when I start printing sheets. I often use a sheet each for Planting Plans, Another for Bulb Overlay and another for the Presentation Plan. Each has a viewport using a range of the layers including the title block. Often for planting I use a different scale so that I can zoom in on a bed. I can't find a way to amend the title block for each sheet so that it has a different reference and also a different scale. Is there a way or can I only rely on the viewport drawing title and associated scales? In short the title block would change reference and scale according to the viewport details. Though the design layer with the title block is part of the viewport which I imagine is part of my problem. This is driving me mad as I can't find a way to use a different title block on each layer either so I feel a little stuck other than putting various on everything which seems to defeat the purpose of the title block functionality. Thanks all
  26. KevinR

Insert Connection Tool Crashes

Hi Both So I've reinstalled VWX and did the test again without SP1. Everything was working perfectly. Reinstalled SP1, problem returned. @jcogdell , So seems the issue is within SP1. Hope this helps narrowing down the issue.
  1. Load more activity

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.